5 Reasons Why Homemade Valentine’s Day Gifts Are The Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Valentine’s Day is approaching, and for all of you coupled-up ladies trying to find the right presents, I decided to give you a piece of advice: give your significant other something homemade. Here are the 5 reasons why:

1. It’s Cheaper

This past Christmas, I was insanely broke. My savings of $1,000 from this summer had dwindled down to less than $100, and I was desperate to save as much money as I could. It was my boyfriend and I’s first Christmas together, and I really wanted to give him a present he would love. So I decided to make him a scrapbook of all of the stupid selfies we had taken together, along with some different memories we had together. Instead of wasting away that $100, I spent about $15.

2. It’s Much More Thoughtful

Although I am a terrible artist and most of my writing was crooked, my boyfriend loved every little piece of that book. Instead of a generic gift to give, I knew it would be more thoughtful. A great way to make a present thoughtful is by incorporating some of your favorite things as a couple. It can be something unique for the both of you.

3. It’s Longer Lasting

The great thing about homemade gifts is they tend to be something you keep around longer. It can be something to cherish, and who knows, maybe you’ll show your kids it one day. In fact, I’ve seen some of the things my parents have made for each other for the holidays, and my mom still keeps all of those cards I made for her as a little girl. Homemade gifts are special.

4. It Can Be Added To

If you decide to make a homemade gift, you can always decide to add to it. I left over 50 blank pages in my scrapbook so I could have space to add things as long as my boyfriend and I date. One of the most special things I was able to add was when we said we loved one another, a date I more than likely would have forgotten.

5. It’s Not the Stereotypical Valentine’s Day Gift

I’ve seen a few posts over Twitter about “perfect Valentine’s Day gifts”, which all had to do with a ton of Victoria’s Secret perfume and yoga pants or Nike tennis shoes. And even though many of those things are nice, they can all be very cliché. Although Valentines Day is very commercialized, if you really think it’s a day to celebrate love, then show love through your actions, not through store-bought gifts. A homemade gift will always stick out in your significant other’s mind, instead of a shirt they end up forgetting about. 

Photo Sources: pinterest.com, skiptomylou.org

Adventurer. Writer.