5 Reasons Why Having a Pet in College is Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Second semester of last year, my parents adopted a little Jack Russell-Yorkie mix dog for me. She was probably the best present I had ever gotten. Dobby is the sweetest little dog I could ask for. So here are the top 5 reasons why having a dog is great in college:

1) They greet you after a long day of class.

So we’ve all had those days were we failed a test we studied hours for, or we had a fight with our significant other or it rained unexpectedly and you didn’t bring your rain boots. What’s great about coming home and letting out my dog is how excited she gets when she sees me.

2) They are therapeutic.

Having a dog has definitely made me so much happier and studies have shown that having an animal to take care of can help relieve social anxiety and release endorphins.

3) They will help you make friends.

Bringing my dog to a party is always a great decision. The only downside is though is when you realize how much more popular they are than you.

4) They will make you more responsible.

I actually get up in the morning earlier than I used to, and I always have an excuse to get home when I need to.

5) They are adorable.

Let’s just say I have a million pictures of my dog. I’m like a proud parent.  

Adventurer. Writer.