Winter Break To Do List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

1. Sleep 

Finals are done, you’re finally home and wow your bed feels great. Hit the hay and feel free to stay there for a day or two. A semester’s worth of work crammed into two weeks of final exams, papers and presentations has left you exhausted. Give your dog a kiss, your parents a hug and head right for your beautiful, wonderful spectacular bed. 

2. Eat

You’ve awoken from your hibernation/recharge period and you’re ravenous. Thankfully there is a fridge full of food (not leftover Jimmy Johns food but real food). Whoever runs the kitchen in your house will probably want to feed you and you know what, let them. “Actually, I will take another piece of salmon. Thanks Dad.” 

3. Recreational Reading

Now that you sold your $400 worth of textbooks for $80 you have some extra cash to pick up those books you’ve been wanting to read all semester but somehow… Pizza Domenica happy hour or an EBIO test or something just kept getting in the way. Whether it’s a fun bestseller or a critical race theory book your favorite professor recommended, this month off is the time to sink your teeth into some unassigned reading. 

4. Catch up with your best friend

Your perfect best friend that knows everything about you that you were glued to the hip with from third grade through high school that you… haven’t been able to talk on the phone with for over a month….oops. It’s ok. Everyone gets busy, especially when you are suffering through finals across the country from each other. Winter break is the wonderful month where you get to have sleepovers, drive around aimlessly until you decide to stop for donuts and go see two movies in one day together. 

5. Finish Gilmore Girls

This is the best show in the whole world and having it on Netflix is the best thing in the whole world but damn did it have to happen right when you actually had to start doing your school work? You’ve been slowly but surely chipping away at all seven seasons… sneaking in a forty-minute episode, or three in between studying and stress eating. You’ve got one season left! Enjoy it… 

6. Work out

So you never really did make it to Reily as much as you had hoped… and you have been hearing a lot about squats these days…. Winter break is the perfect time to try an implement a new fitness regimen into your life. Yes there will probably be treats on treats at your house and holiday parties and yes, you can’t go home without eating at all your favorite local joints but…. betwen Gilmore Girls and nap time, there could be time for a work out. Maybe. 

7. Hit on that hot dude from High School 

Remember that guy that you always thought was way too cool for you and then you went to college, realized you were amazing and that he would be lucky to hang out with you? Flirt with him at the reunion party some nostalgic kid is bound to throw and shoot him a text after. You’re an experienced college gal, you’ve got nothing to lose. If he isn’t interested and things get awkward, remember you’re in a relationship with New Orleans so whateverrrrrr. 

8. Do Holiday things 

Eggnog and Irish Coffee and rum spiked apple cider and mulled wine and… you get the idea. Decorate the tree, go caroling, light the menorah, get drunk with your family. You know the drill. There’s nothing like a good ugly christmas sweater party where your whole family ends up plastered and trying to make a music video together. 

Happy Winter Break!