Why I Don’t Mind Being Addicted to Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Coffee gets a bad rap. Most non-coffee drinkers frown upon guzzlers of the dark elixir that powers my life for a multitude of reasons (health ramifications, unethical trading practices), however, to them I say “bye Felica,” because frankly, I LOVE being addicted to coffee. Okay, “love” might be too strong a verb, but I really do enjoy being a coffee drinker. First, coffee is delicious and very versatile. You can drink it black, with cream, with 2 sugars and no cream — the combinations are endless (and don’t forget the flavored syrup options); you can even infuse coffee flavor into chocolate, meat, or even risotto. Although coffee tastes divine, I mainly enjoy being a coffee drinker because the act of drinking coffee is comforting. When I wake up in the morning, the extra jolt of caffeine helps power my day, but the routine of drinking coffee creates solace in my day (creating stability is especially necessary in this day and age). Additionally, how could I be a true, basic collegiate if I couldn’t Insta my trendy cappuccino or commiserate about how the Barista spelled my name wrong on my Starbucks cup? Being a coffee drinker also spurs me to explore my neighborhood as I am in constant search of out the best coffee shop —FYI, I think Mojo on Freret is my new campus favorite. At the end of the day, while I don’t enjoy admitting that I need caffeine to survive, random coffee spills are not fun to clean up, and I might save a fair bit of money if I didn’t spend it on my addiction, I will proudly down my morning (or afternoon) cup o’joe with joy because coffee is BÆ.  

Her Campus Tulane