This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Happy Halloween! Although Halloween night is technically Monday this year, we all know that the entire weekend before is fair game for celebrating. I hope you were able to get your fair share of celebration in, since Thanksgiving is still almost a month away!

While your Halloween observance strategy may have changed since you were a kid, I sincerely hope that your love of candy has not. As a self-diagnosed sweet-tooth, I will forever associate dressing up in a scary costume with some serious candy inhalation nibbling afterwards. However, once I found out how much sugar the average American eats each year (a whopping 24 lbs!), I decided to investigate whether or not certain treats are better than others.

Men’s Health recommends these swaps:

3 Musketeers beats Butterfingers by containing almost 40 less calories and half the fat.

Now and Laters beat Brach’s Milk Maid Caramels by slashing 100 calories per serving and contain 6g less sugar.

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups beat out their festive Reese’s Pumpkins cousins with 65 less calories and 6g sugar. While they’re made of the same things, the oversized nature of a Reese’s Pumpkin balloons its already unhealthy nutritional facts.

If you do choose to make the rounds this Halloween evening, you won’t be able to control which fun-sized delectables your well-meaning neighbors toss your way. However, you do have control over which ones you scarf up in your post-trick-or-treating excitement. Follow the easy tricks above to enjoy your treats while avoiding a calorie and sugar overdose, because let’s be honest: anyone who tells you to forgo candy in favor
of an apple this Halloween is just plain batty!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.