This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

While there are tons of great free performances, lecutures, meals, trips, and events that are welcome perks to Tulane’s high tuition and fees, here are a few of my favorite small free treats around campus. Sometimes it’s the little things than can make your day! 

1.     The New York Times

Almost every weekday you will find a stack of The New York Times newspapers in the Bruff Commons first floor or by the PJs coffee on Freret. The New York Times charges for online and print subscriptions, so the fact that Tulane provides the paper for free is a pretty sweet deal. Whether you’re waiting in line to pick up a package at Mail Services or sitting in a classroom ten minutes early, there’s a surprisingly ample amount of down time throughout the day to flip through the paper.

2.     Cudd Hall Coffee

You know that cute building on the academic quad that looks like a house? Not only does it have some great porch swings for you to relax on, but step inside and there is free coffee! Bring your own travel mug so you don’t have to use the small styrafoam cups they provide. While sometimes a little acidic and with only powdered creamer available, it isn’t exactly a Starbucks latte but it’ll do the trick for an afternoon pick me up between classes, absolutely free.

3.     Library School Supplies

Now this isn’t necessarily the most exciting free perk but if anyone else loses writing utensils as often as I do, you’ll appreciate the cup of free pencils on the first floor of the library. Considering how high tuition is, I appreciate the supply of pencils, paper clips, tissues and staplers available for use. Especially since the pencils have good erasers!