This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Though all freshman here at Tulane are required to be on a dining hall-heavy meal plan, we simply can’t eat there every single time.  Here’s a list I’ve compiled of some of my favorite food items to keep in the dorm and restock from Whole Foods as needed. Enjoy!

For On The Go:

Protein and Granola Bars

Some of my favorites, particularly after working out, are Power Crunch (if you haven’t tasted these, they’re like KitKats but better) and RX bars.

Bananas

Duh.

Justin’s Nut Butter packets

I love the vanilla almond butters, but there’s a huge range of flavors.  

For Breakfast:

Coffee!

As an avid coffee drinker, buying a Nespresso machine for my room was the best purchase I could’ve made.  Needless to say, it gets used 1-2 times daily.

BelVita breakfast cookies

These are a super easy option for when you sleep through your three alarms and have ten minutes to be across campus.

Oatmeal

Just super yummy.  If you think you don’t like it, try it again—I did and I’m obsessed. I like mine with honey. 

For Lunch/Dinner:

When you don’t feel like leaving your room to run to Bruff or the LBC but your stomach is grumbling, it’s nice to have a few decent real meal options in your fridge. 

Frozen Meals

I like Amy’s Tofu Scrambles a lot, but the options are limitless.

Soup

There’s something really satisfying about a warm bowl of soup when our frigid New Orleans fall weather hits.

For Something Sweet:

Dark Chocolate

As one of my all-time favorite foods, I always have a couple of super dark (I’m talking 90% Cacao) chocolate bars.  If you like something sweeter, you can’t go wrong with Dove’s singles.

Halo Top and Arctic Freeze

A couple of (less unhealthy) ice cream options—pistachio and double chocolate brownie are the absolute best.

Light Cool Whip

Mhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.

Chocolate covered anything

The espresso beans and cherries from Whole Foods are life-changing.

Extra Snacks for Emergencies and/or Bored-Eating:

Wasabi Peas and Chickpeas

Until you mindlessly put too many in your mouth and your eyes begin to water from the wasabi, these are delicious.

Nuts

My favorites are raw almonds and spicy cashews.

Veggie Straws

A popular alternative to chips–personally, I like them better.

Skinny Pop Microwave Boxes

I’m not sure why, but popping it yourself makes it a bit more fun, and Skinny Pop is always a great option.

Her Campus Tulane