Profile: Mel Ash ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Hometown: Indianapolis, Indiana

Major: Art History & French

Dream job: I hope to be working within the art-consulting field, helping others find those pieces that shape their day to day environments.

Tell me a little bit about your internship, and what’s your favorite part?: I work for whereyart.net, which is predominately an online gallery made up of over 100 local New Orleans artists. We also have two physical gallery spaces within the city – one on Royal Street and the other in the Old No. 77 Hotel and Chandlery on Tchopitoulas Street, check them out! My favorite part of my internship has been the opportunity to witness and understand the way that art inspires and connects so many people throughout New Orleans. The city would be nothing without creativity, and if we don’t continue to support local artists and musicians it will lose its personality. Where Y’art has also led me to meet some of the most talented and driven people – specifically Where Y’art’s founders, Catherine Todd & Collin Ferguson, who have allowed countless people to experience the way in which art can transcend any kind of language and challenge one’s conventional expectations of art and the relationships it can form.

Where is your favorite place in New Orleans?: The New Orleans Museum of Art’s Sculpture garden on a Sunday afternoon – peep me there during finals avidly avoiding any and all work.

Do you believe in mermaids? Yes, in the same way that pizza tastes better when shared after midnight with your best friends, and a strawberry daiquiri is sweeter when you buy it from a drive through; life is easier to swallow when you believe in mermaids.

Life motto: Why do the laundry today that you can put off for tomorrow?

Her Campus Tulane