absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Post-Mardi Detox: 6 Staples for 7 Ultra-Healthy Meals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Come Fat Tuesday, we’ll be filled with Boot pizza, alcohol, and way too many snack foods. We’ll say, “ugh, I feel so gross!” and swear to only cook superfoods for the rest of our lives. I’ve lived that anticipated yet dreaded post-mardi slump, and each year have entered Rouses seeking the foods that will transform me from an exhausted, baggy-eyed monster back into my normal self. We can think of these “magical” foods as the basis of our post-Mardi detox. 

This does’t mean I live off of seaweed chips, apples and baby carrots. Six ultra staples can be the foundation for a week of healthy and rejuvenating meals: sweet potato, spinach, lentils, quinoa, chickpeas and cauliflower. These basic foods can be mixed and matched in many easy and creative ways – and are generally cheap ingredients that can be whipped up for a few servings. So, with these 6 ingredients in mind and 7 easy recipes posted below, say hello to the new post-mardi gras glow. 

Chickpea and Spiced Spinach Smash with Sweet Potato

Sweet Potato Pad Thai with Sriracha Sauce

Cauliflower and Chickpea Quinoa with Tahini Drizzle

Sweet Potato Curry with Spinach and Chickpeas

Sweet Potato, Quinoa, Spinach and Red Lentil Burger 

Lentil and Quinoa Salad with Spinach and Citrus 

Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup