Not Your Grandma’s Holiday Playlist: The 10 Best Seasonal Covers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s barely a week into the window of socially-acceptable Christmas music-playing and you’re already tired of hearing Nat King Cole on repeat? Sometimes it can feel as if every Starbucks, mall and obnoxious floormate have conspired to force you to listen to the same five songs ad nauseam until the season is over.

So that’s why I’m pushing back against the tyranny of overplayed holiday soundtracks.  As an avid listener of Christmas music (and a firm believer that the classics will always reign supreme—thanks for trying JBiebz) I’ve compiled a list of my favorite covers of the holiday songs we all grew up listening to.

Perfect for finals studying and post-Thanksgiving workouts, this playlist may cause spontaneous singing and an overpowering desire for hot chocolate, fuzzy socks and the comfort of your own bed!

1. Winter Wonderland

Ellis Marsalis feat. Bill Huntington & Jason Marsalis (A New Orleans Christmas Carol, 2011)

2.  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Jack Johnson (This Warm December: Brushfire Holiday’s Vol. 1, 2008)

3. Santa Baby

Colbie Caillat (Christmas in the Sand, 2012)

4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Andrew Belle (Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Single, 2011)

5. Silent Night

Johnny Cash (The Classic Christmas Album, 1980)

6. Blue Christmas

Blake Shelton feat. Pistol Annies  (Cheers, It’s Christmas, 2012)

7. Joy to the World

Sufjan Stevens (Songs for Christmas, 2006) Note: this entire album is perfect, check it out on Spotify

8. Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town

Bruce Springsteen (Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, 1981)

9. White Christmas

Elvis Presley (Elvis’ Christmas Album, 1957)

10. Little Drummer Boy/Silent Night/Auld Lang Syne

Jimi Hendrix (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, 1999 *recorded 1969)

Her Campus Tulane