Insider’s Guide to Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

If you haven’t guessed from Her Campus Tulane’s copious amounts of themed articles, the season for beads and king cake has begun. Every year, as winter transitions into spring, New Orleans hosts one of the biggest Carnival celebrations in the world, culminating with the ever infamous Mardi Gras day. Locals, students, and tourists alike enjoy the traditional festivities. However, similarly to any chaotic festival, there are some unwritten rules all attendees should abide by. For those rookies, or anyone looking for a refresher course, I present HCT’s **official** “Insider’s Guide to Mardi Gras” to help you create the most successful week of socially acceptable debauchery ever.

1. Carnival vs. Mardi Gras 

If you want to sound like a seasoned vet, know your terminology: Carnival is the season, Mardi Gras (or Fat Tuesday) is the final day of celebration. People still use the words interchangeably, but knowing the difference puts you a step above the rest. 

2. Mardi Gras is technically a religious holiday

This is just a fun fact to know. Linked to Christianity, the holiday began and still exists to let all of your frivolity out before the Lenten season (the period six weeks before Easter where believers essentially repent their sins). 

3. Buy sustenance BEFORE 

Once the Thursday before Mardi Gras rolls around, it is essentially IMPOSSIBLE to travel anywhere in the city by car. Additionally, most shops are closed from Thursday-Tuesday, so buy FOOD/DRINK/COSMETICS/GEAR long before Thursday. 

***PSA FOR TULANE STUDENTS: Bruff will be open this year. It wasn’t last year because Spring Break and Mardi Gras overlapped —let the “Druffing” and fruit stealing commence!

4. It really is a marathon….

NOT A SPRINT!! Although you’ve probably heard this one, Mardi Gras really is a test of endurance (in more ways than one) so don’t max out early. Some of the best parades are at the end of Mardi Gras so make sure you have a reserve of energy to make it through. 

5. Pack a granola bar

There won’t be much food on the route, so pack a portable snack to keep your blood sugar high throughout the day. 

6. Download “Parade Tracker”  

After a while, all the parades blend together. To remedy this confusion, download “Parade Tracker” on your phone to figure out when and where each parade is rolling (the term to describe the time/space local of each parade),

7. BUDDY SYSTEM

Probably the two most important words you’ll read in this article. Even if your BFFs and you make a pact never to leave eachother’s sides, chances are you’ll stil wind up losing eachother. Before you go out, make sure everyone in your group downloads Find my Friends (Drunk Mode is also a good one too) just incase someone goes MIA. On that note, you’ll probably want to bring a back up charger for your phone. Regardless, everyone should kick it old school and write at least THREE phone numbers on your hand in case your phone dies so you can borrow a phone to find your peeps.  

8. Finding bathrooms is THE struggle 

Most don’t think about this before hand, but there are essentially NO BATHROOMS on the parade route. If you can buy a wrist band for a port-a-potty beforehand, BUY IT. This will at least cover you for pit stops during the first few days until the unit becomes too full to use. At that point, paying $5 to use a church’s bathroom or waiting in an hour long line for McDonalds just to pee is totally acceptable. Under NO circumstances should you relieve yourself in the streets. The cops will find you, and they will punish you. Trust us.

9. Do NOT pet the horses

As a mentioned earlier, after Thursday it is nearly impossible to get around NOLA by car. That said, NOPD enlists the use of their horses to manage crowds. As this is essentially the city’s only way to tame the masses they get VERY mad when people touch the horses. Although they’re adorable and they’re noses are ever so soft, DO NOT TOUCH THE HORSES. The cops will find you, and they will punish you. Trust us.

10. You’re rarely ever in the French Quarter during Mardi Gras

As the main parade route runs on St. Charles Ave. and Bourbon St. is PACKED mainly with tourists, for a true Mardi Gras experience try and avoid the Quarter at all costs.  

11. Nudity isn’t a thing

In the words of Mike Wazowski, “PUT THAT THING BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM!” Ain’t no beads/shoes/coconuts are worth exposing yourself, so just don’t do it.

12. Don’t steal beads from kids… 

Although most college kids are down to have a good time, keep in mind Mardi Gras is a family affair for most New Orleanians and there will be children around. If you see some perched upon their ladders or on their parent’s shoulders behind you, don’t get aggressive and intercept their beads. Your catch isn’t worth the headache you’re going to give their parents when the kid doesn’t stop wailing about not catching the pretty, pink beads. 

13. Do not get arrested. 

In general, please, never get arrested, but ESPECIALLY don’t get in trouble with the law over Mardi Gras. If you haven’t already gathered, over Mardi Gras the city essentially shuts down for a week. That said, central lock up does as well. Although you may have only pet the horses or peed in the street, if you get carted off to the big house, you won’t be getting out until Wednesday at the earliest. All hope isn’t lost though, Mr. Freddie King (Tulanian’s favorite attorney) might be able to save the day, so put his number in your contacts ASAP: 504-581-9322 (office).

**more info on his website: http://www.frederickjking.com/

14. Layer your clothes

You’re in New Orleans where the saying goes “if you don’t like the weather, wait 20 minutes.” In a matter of minutes, the weather here goes from being 70 and sunny, to rainy and cold. The forecast looks as though it should be warm in the mornings, and colder at nights, so pack another layer or wear it in a funky style (it is Mardi Gras after all). 

15. Wear comfy shoes

You’ll be walking all day, so rock your sneakers with pride. 

16. Laissez les Bons Temps Roulé!!!

At the end of the day, you’re down in New Orleans to have fun, so “Let the good times roll!!”  (but enjoy responsibly ;).

~~pEaCe, LoVe, MArDiIII

Her Campus Tulane