How Not to Look Like a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Last weekend, Rocco’s Tavern hosted an event that required couples to dress in coordinating outfits. The bar was filled with criminals and police officers, doctors and nurses, nuns and priests, and Batman and Catwoman; I even witnessed a pair of impeccably dressed nerds. However, I failed to grasp the idea behind one couple’s costume: both students wore a “Reily Rocks!” T-shirt and had their Splash Cards prominently displayed, and when I finally asked them what they were, the girl replied, “We’re freshman of course!” The boy then asked if I was a freshman, but the way he asked implied he already knew that I was, which freaked me out. Do I scream freshman? Is it something upperclassmen can smell? I talked to a few older students to determine what makes freshman so easily identifiable, and I’ve complied a list of “don’ts” to avoid being immediantly marked as being a first year. As a freshman myself, am I qualified to write this list? Probably not, but I hope you enjoy it anyway.

1. Don’t overload on Tulane apparel
You convinced your parents to drop $200 at the Bookstore on move-in day; that’s awesome. Wear all that new Tulane attire with pride… just not all on the same day.

2. Don’t wear your lanyard around your neck
Lanyards are probably one of the useful items ever invented; they help keep you fairly organized and help prevent ID misplacement and loss. I know I personally would be on my 6th Splash Card now without one. However, this does not make it okay for you to constantly wear yours around like your favorite necklace. Put it in your pocket or purse instead.

3. Don’t sprint to class
Arriving to class on time is important, especially if you have teachers that penalize tardy students. But there really isn’t a good reason to sprint to a lecture, ever. This isn’t high school, where a tardy results in a thirty-minute detention with your creepy English teacher. Try to arrive to class on time, and if you are running behind you can increase your pace to a speed-walk, but please leave the full-out run for the gym.

4. Don’t continuously tell high school stories
You know that story about how insane the party bus was after your senior homecoming dance? You should probably stop telling it. High school was fun, but it’s time to move forward and embrace college life. Stop reliving old memories and go out and make new ones.

5. Don’t show up to frat parties too early
Fraternity members may claim their party starts at 10 pm, but they’re lying. If you show up right on time to a frat party you will find yourself awkwardly standing in a warm and mostly empty room and you will not have fun, I promise. If you’re wondering why I know such specifics on the state of a frat party at 10 pm, it’s because I committed this freshman faux pas a few weeks into school, so trust me on this one.

6. Don’t wear your high school class of 2012 shirt…
…while in line at the Boot… and showing your fake ID to the bouncer. Yes, I’ve witnessed this and no, it didn’t end well.

7. Don’t travel in huge groups
The upperclassmen I talked to claimed that the tendency for freshmen to walk in large groups is one of the biggest giveaways that they are a newbies. So next time you head over to Bruff, invite a few close friends, not your entire floor.

8. Don’t continue to use high school lingo
The words “teacher” and “grade” no longer apply. We are now first year students who learn from professors and eat in dining halls rather than cafeterias.

9. Don’t constantly take pictures
“Oh my god, we need to take 70 + pictures in the dorm room before going out!” If you are a freshman girl you have probably had this thought cross your head or at least heard it uttered by a fellow first-year. Once again, I’m guilty. But to be honest, you shouldn’t take 70 + pictures in the dorm room before going out. It’s understandable to want to take pictures to document your college experience, and you definitely should try to capture fun nights and events on film, but no one wants to see the same shot of you and your girls with an unmade dorm bed in the background over and over. Upload all those pictures and you may as well tattoo freshie on your forehead.

10. Don’t wear socks with sandals
This one isn’t really relevant, or exclusive to freshman, but I couldn’t think of a 10th rule and someone just walked by me wearing socks and sandals. This look is not acceptable, and it’s important that people understand that.

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.