Greys Anatomy Season 14 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

SPOILER ALERT!!

Greys fanatics, the wait is over! We can finally quit wondering what will happen to Owen’s sister and the rest of the characters. Alas, many of our questions have been answered, and we are now left with new with new questions, worries, and hopes, and some new characters to obsess over.  So, what exactly happened during the first two episodes of season 14…

Hey, Megan!

After waiting months to see what happened to Megan, Owen’s sister and Nathan’s wife, we finally meet the eccentric red head. She arrives off the plane, bringing Owen and Nathan to tears. While she seems pretty healthy, we soon learn that she has an open wound in her stomach from a bombing that occurred while she was kidnapped. But wait there’s more… she reveals that she has a kid back in Iraq and is planning to go back to him after she heals. So, maybe she won’t be a regular on the show after all.

Meredith to the rescue!

Despite Megan coming back and stealing Meredith’s man, she is determined to find a way to fix Megan’s stomach so that it heals well enough for her to go back to Iraq. In typical Meredith Grey fashion, she puts her feelings for Nathan aside and spends countless hours researching a way to fix Megan’s wound. Although she comes up with an intense plan that makes us google search terms and swear we would be doctors if we were smart enough, her initial plan fails, leaving Megan’s wound seemingly unfixable. After a vent session with Alex Karev, AKA new Christina, Mer comes up with a new surgical plan. Of course, we see some Grey magic as she miraculously heals Megan’s wound by doing an abdominal transplant (couldn’t really tell you much more about this whole process). But, maybe her streak of saving people will start up again.

What is the deal with Nathan and Meredith?

That is the question we are all wondering. Although he isn’t Derek, Nathan is likely the next best thing. Of course, we’re happy for Owen and Nathan, but we secretly hope that Meredith and Nathan will last. Nathan is thrilled to see his estranged wife, as she greets him with “hey stranger.” He even goes as far as to propose to her again, but fearing that he may still have feelings for Meredith and the fact that she needs to go back to her kid back in Iraq, she declines Nathan’s proposal. Near the end of the episode, we see Nathan and Meredith on a rooftop (typical Shonda Rhimes making everything so dramatic). Nathan tells Meredith that Megan thinks that he still has feelings for her. So, being the fierce independent woman she is, Meredith storms off. So that’s where we’re at. Will they last? Will Meredith refuse to be Nathan’s back up plan? Will Nathan go back to Iraq with Megan? So many questions!

Are Jo and Karev back together yet again?

We literally can’t deny that we melt over Alex’s love for children and his soft spot for Jo. Last season Alex decided to be all super-hero like with his noble plan to confront Jo’s abusive ex-husband. When he finally found him, he thought about going up to the guy, but due to his rather aggressive past (cough, cough Deluca) he backs down, but he doesn’t tell Jo. Jo being the stubborn girl she is, she sleeps with a “sub intern” (since when were those a thing) who quite literally dropped his eye glasses on a patient who was open on the table. Come on, Jo. Anyway, Alex tells Jo about his noble act and with little hesitation, she kisses him. We can only hope this cute romance will last.

A romance for Owen and Teddy?

The last time we saw Teddy, she was still distraught over the death of her husband, and then Owen fired her for her own good. After hearing the news about Megan, of course Teddy came to the rescue. We’ve always known that there has been some romance between Owen and Teddy, but after he married Amelia, we kind of lost hope. Or have we… After Teddy speaks to Amelia about her rather strange and distant behavior, Amelia tells Owen that she knows he’s in love with Teddy. Of course, Owen makes the irrational choice of kissing Teddy in some romantic setting at night. While there is definitely a love connection between them, Teddy does not feel comfortable about kissing Owen while he’s still Married to Amelia. She tells him that he is her “favorite person” and that it should stay just that way. In other words, I guess she was saying that He is the Yang to her Grey (Ugh if only Christina would make a return). Is there hope for Teddy and Owen? Maybe. However, it’s likely that will just remain each other’s “person.”

New Character Alert!

In the midst of a one night stand between Arizona and some girl she met at the bar, Deluca storms in and we soon learn that this girl is his sister. Even better, we learn that DeLuca is Italian (didn’t think he could get any hotter). Anyway, this new character is, of course, a doctor like her brother, and she convinces Bailey to let her use the a machine at the hospital to study the human brain and orgasms (a little atypical for Greys). It’s hard to tell what is going to happen between her and Arizona, but I guess we will have to wait and see!

What is with Amelia these days?

We all know how much of a hot mess Amelia was after Derek died. I mean who could blame her, but she did start to get a little annoying. Just when we thought everything was good and dandy with her and Owen, she becomes all moody again. Ugh! Even Owen’s family notices her absence during the tough time with Megan. Amelia even tells Owen that he should be with Teddy if he wants to (seriously Amelia?) If that was not concerning enough, she goes behind Avery’s back to perform a risky surgery on a teenager. Then, in a shocking moment right at the end of the second episode, we learn that Amelia has a massive brain tumor. Perhaps this is why she has been acting this way. I’m not so sure any of us can handle another tragedy with one of the main characters, especially another Shepard. Let’s cross our fingers and hope for the best.

With the new season ahead of us, there are so many unanswered questions, and so many things that we hope will happen. Mark your calendars, this Thursday is going to be intense!

Her Campus Tulane