Go Your Own Way: DIY Wall Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Are your walls sad? Did you miss the poster sale? Do you have a hard time finding wall art that isn’t too cookie-cutter for you? Are you a college student short on cash and craft supplies? 

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then here’s the perfect craft for you:

Step 1: Find an old magazine you don’t mind cutting up.

Step 2: Flip through the magazine and tear out any pages you think are extra pretty.

Step 3: Using a marker (I think metallic is easiest to see, but you can use whatever) draw or trace the letters you want, one per page. I drew out my own letters, but you can find all kinds of fonts online to make stencils from if you want a more precise look. 

Step 4: Cut out your letter. Magazine paper is super fragile so be careful not to tear it. (I tore so many pages and had to start over a few times oops..)

You did it! You made a whole letter! Now repeat steps one through four until you have all the letters for the word or phrase you want.

Step 6: Once you have all your letters cut out, flip them over and add rolled tape to the back every couple of inches. 

Step 7: Stick your letters on your own wall! Go your own way and pick a phrase that you love…Happy crafting!

Her Campus Tulane