Five Last-Minute Feminist Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Halloween may be less than a week away, but never fear procrastinators! There are so many great Halloween costumes that can be put together at the last minute. Before you get roped into being a banana or something just as lame, you might want to consider other, equally easy options. If you’re still looking, here are some last-minute, feminist Halloween costumes.

1. The Notorious RBG : Known for her scathing, dissenting opinions and witty sense of humor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg may be the coolest Supreme Court Justice of all time. She’s so well-loved that a Tumblr blog called “The Notorious RBG” has been created in her honor, spawning the creation of a plethora of Ruth Bader Ginsburg merchandise. RBG found out about the blog, and thought it was so funny that she bought a bunch of “Notorious RBG” shirts, which she gives out to her grandchildren, employees, and journalists. This costume is super easy—find a black robe or dress, a lace doily, and some sort of make-shift gavel and then accessorize with any gangster things you can find. Examples include: grills, a crown, a gold chain, a pinkie ring, etc.

2. Hillary Clinton: Hillary Clinton is the bomb-diggity—and you will be, too, if you decide to dress as former Secretary of State Clinton for Halloween. All you need is a pant suit (in any color), dark sunglasses, an old Blackberry, a confident attitude, and some Hillary-ish accessories. For jewelry, consider pearls and clip-on earrings. For hair, aim for a ponytail with a scrunchie, a headband, or a visible plastic clip. Bonus points for getting the DJ at the Palms to play Beyonce’s “Run the World (Girls)”.

3. Rosie the Riveter: This one is an oldie but goodie. Rosie the Riveter is basically the cover girl of the feminist movement, representing the working women of the World War II era and beyond. This costume is super easy to put together and very recognizable (which will save you from the hassle of repeating over and over again who you’re supposed to be). You probably already have everything you need for this costume laying around your dorm room, but if not, someone else who you can borrow from does. All you need is a denim/chambray shirt, a red bandana, red lipstick, and a cardboard sign that says “We Can Do It!”. Thanks for showing us how it’s done, Bey.

4. Hermione Granger: Okay, so maybe this one isn’t directly a feminist Halloween costume, but who doesn’t love Hermione Granger? She’s smart, brave, loyal, and she totally kicks butt. Plus, since Emma Watson made her HeForShe speech at the U.N. earlier this semester, the costume will be extra relevant! All you need is a black skirt and sweater, a white button down shirt, a maroon tie, and a wand (i.e. a stick). Even better if you carry around a giant book and a cat stuffed animal—what would Hermione be without Crookshanks?

5. Wendy Davis: The Democratic candidate for Governor of Texas, Wendy Davis is best known for her amazing efforts at filibustering for 11 hours to block a senate bill that would further restrict abortion regulations in Texas. During her 11-hour speech, Davis wore a pair of now-famous pink tennis shoes. All you need for this easy costume is a business casual dress and a pair of tennis shoes (preferably pink). Accessorize with pearls and any Texas-pride stuff you can get your hands on. 

Her Campus Tulane