Campus Celeb: Samantha Fleurinor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Name: Samantha Fleurinor 

Age: 21

Hometown: Lauderhill, FL

Marjors: Finance and Classical Studies

Class: 2016 

Position(s): Co-President of Tulane Black Student Union and RA in Sharp 

Could you tell us a little bit about the history and mission of Tulane’s BSU?

The Tulane BSU was established in 1969. The primary purpose of the BSU is to provide a safe and social space for the Black community on campus. We do this through biweekly general body meetings and collaborative events with other institutions on campus

How long have you been involved in TBSU?

I have been involved with the BSU since my freshman year when I became a member. In my sophomore year, I became a co-chair for the Tulane Black Arts Festival. And now in my Junior year I am the Co-President as well as the Chair of the 2015 Tulane Black Arts Festival

What is Black Arts Festival? 

Over the past several years, the Black Arts Festival has ranged from being a weeklong lecture series to a singular day of events. The festival has been occuring off and on for about 5 or 6 years . This year, the festival will be from March 6th to March 16th, concluding with a keynote with the legendary Spike Lee

What Black Arts Festival events can Tulane students get excited for?

Tulane Students can get excited for every single event. We definitely have an event that caters to as many different people as possible. This year we have a performing arts and visual arts showcase, a black trans media workshop, a youth open mic poetry event, and gospel dinner.

What has been the most challenging part about planning Black Arts Festival?

The most challenging part of planning the festival is definitely balancing the planning with my other responsibilities as a freshman RA and president of a large organization.

What has been the most rewarding part about planning Black Arts Festival?

The most rewarding part is allowing local New Orleans artists to grace the Tulane campus with their awesome talents perform for students who would have otherwise never seen them. Given Tulane’s isolation to the city, the festival allows the real New Orleans to take the stage

Where can students get more information on Tulane Black Student Union and Black Arts Festival?

Facebook event page 

Black Arts Festival Website