The Best Thanksgiving TV Episodes to Get You Through Turkey Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I love Thanksgiving and the holiday season for many reasons-  family coming together, friends returning home, so much food that it should be illegal, etc. But the best part about Thanksgiving is watching all the greatest TV shows’ Thanksgiving episodes to get everyone in that holiday spirit. Think about it. Good food and good TV and great people to share it with. Life does not get much better than that. Here are my recommendations for the best of the best Thanksgiving TV episodes to make your holiday even better.

Grey’s Anatomy: “Thanks for the Memories”

Grey’s Anatomy is without a doubt my favorite series on television EVER. I can’t even pick a favorite episode because the vast majority of them are THAT GOOD. (Shoutout to Shonda Rhimes for being a boss.) But if you’re picking an episode to watch this Thursday, you have to watch Season 2 Episode 9, “Thanks for the Memories.” Highlights for this episode include: Izzie cooking a Thanksgiving dinner with a little help from Dr. Burke, Meredith-Derek-Addison love triangle drama, booze, and George successfully shooting a turkey. If you feel like turning this into a drinking game, take a shot every time someone says, “Seriously!?” and/or has an unbelievably long elevator ride.

Friends: “The One with the Rumor”

Friends is so awesome that the series boasts several amazing Thanksgiving episodes. If we’re picking favorites though, I have to go with “The One with the Rumor” (Season 8 Episode 9). This episode features guest star and everyone’s favorite Sexiest Man Alive, Brad Pitt. Pitt plays Ross’s formerly overweight high school best friend and cofounder of the “I Hate Rachel Club.” In addition, Joey accepts Monica’s challenge to eat an entire turkey by himself, Chandler reveals that he can’t eat turkey because of traumatizing childhood memories, and the Will eats A LOT of yams. This episode was a big deal when it aired, as Pitt and Aniston were in the prime of their legendary relationship (R.I.P.), so get ready to feel the feels and reminisce on the days of Brad and Jen.

Gossip Girl: “Blair Waldorf Must Pie!”

Although Gossip Girl has a few legendary Thanksgiving episodes, I have to go with the show’s very first one, “Blair Waldorf Must Pie!” (Season 1 Episode 9). This episode introduces us to some really juicy drama through a series of flashbacks. We see party-girl Serena and naïve Nate catch feelings and glimpses of Lonely Boy longing for Serena over some smushed pumpkin pie. Meanwhile, Blair binge eats a whole pie, Serena and Dan still have that season one innocence, and Nate’s dad makes us all hate him even more than we already did by swallowing a handful of painkillers. Despite all of the drama, the episode actually ends on a happy note with some good old American family football. You know you’ll love it, xoxo.

How I Met Your Mother: “Slapsgiving”

Kids, Season 3 Episode 9: “Slapsgiving” is LEGEN-wait for it-DARY. HIMYM has a few notable Thanksgiving shows, but this is by far the most noteworthy. In this episode, Marshall prepares to deliver Barney’s third slap as per the agreement of their infamous Slap Bet. Ted and Robin also reveal the best inside joke ever, as they salute each other any time someone uses a military ranking term in conversation (i.e. Major Buzzkill). Lily prepares her first Thanksgiving dinner, Robin brings a really old guy as a date, and Marshall sings his original song “You Just Got Slapped.” The episode concludes with Marhsall’s clutch slap in the last few seconds of his countdown, leaving Barney on the floor in agony. Suit up for this most awesome episode.

New Girl: “Thanksgiving”

Season 1 Episode 6 “Thanksgiving” features the always-quirky Jess in addition to the equally-quirky Paul, a recurring guest star played by Justin Long. Jess invites Paul over for Thanksgiving dinner, foiling Schmidt’s “Dudesgiving” plans. Highlights of this episode include Jess hugging a frozen, raw turkey to her body in attempt to thaw it and then throwing it into the dryer, several pumpkin ales, and all of us wishing we were as cool as Cece. We also see lots of foreshadowing of Jess’s future relationship with Nick, as Nick and Paul can’t seem to get along. Jess confronts Nick and accidentally reveals to everyone all of the ways she would like to have sex with Paul (i.e. the Wiggle One and the Bear Attack). Expect several outbursts of a random Thanksgiving song and dance by Jess and Paul. It’s adorkable.

And if none of these options work for you, just watch SNL’s Adele-inspired Thanksgiving skit on repeat and cry.

Her Campus Tulane