Best Noms in Walking Distance of Tulane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As college students in New Orleans, we are constantly being tempted by the good food around us. We all have those nights where we just can’t have another meal at Bruff. But, we’re college students, and we can’t afford to go out to eat every night. Looking back at the first month of college, I spent a lot of unnecessary money on cabs. The food is good, but is the cab really worth being $10 per person each way? Some days, yes. But other days, no. Here are my 3 favorite places to eat that are in walking distance of campus (no cab fare!):

1)    Satsuma

Located on Maple, only a 10-15 minute walk, Satsuma is the perfect place to go on that Sunday when you really need a good meal to revive yourself from the weekend. Satsuma is also a really refreshing escape from Bruff. My favorite things about Satsuma are that everything tastes fresh and the drinks are amazing. Every time I’ve gone to Satsuma I’ve ordered the homemade Watermelon Lemonade. They also have fresh juices, including orange juice and green juices. Now to the eats. I always get the turkey sandwich and fix it to my liking (turkey, feta, pesto, spinach, pickled onions). For those of you who prefer breakfast foods, I suggest their banana walnut pancakes. 

2)    Kakkoii Japanese Bistreaux (NOTE: they take NOLA bucks)

Also located on Maple, about 2 minutes closer to campus, is a great Japanese restaurant. I was extremely excited when I sat down and realized that the restaurant was playing Skrillex. Techno music in a Japanese restaurant? I’ll take it. To be honest, I am not a sushi fan. Correction. Was not. Kakkoii has a delicious Spicy Tuna dip with wonton chips that is an absolute must-try. Sushi fans, you have to try the Rock-N-Roll (tempura shrimp, snow crab, avocado & asparagus with smelt roe on the outside; drizzled with eel sauce). For those of you not so into sushi, I recommend the chicken pad thai. And for dessert, they have Creole Creamery Ice Cream. If I didn’t sell you yet, from 5-7 they have Happy Hour (for those of you 21 and over, of course).

3)    Café Freret

Located on Freret Street, about a 10 minute walk from campus, is Café Freret. Café Freret is another great brunch place to go to when you can’t do another Bruff breakfast. For all you Chai fans, Café Freret is the only place I’ve been to in New Orleans where I’ve actually liked the Chai (sorry PJ’s). If you’re going on a Saturday or Sunday for brunch (which you probably are) you HAVE to get the eggs benedict. Café Freret has about 7 different types of benedict, so they definitely have one that you’ll like. However, when this is not available during the week, make sure to get the French Toast. If you’re feeling super fancy, get it with Bananas Foster on top! Also feel free to bring your dog for brunch- Café Freret has vet approved dog treats! Molasses Almond cookies, Homemade Milk Bones, and Snickerpooches…you’re not the only one who will be leaving happy!           

Her Campus Tulane