The 5 Phases of Studying in Howie T

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As finals start approaching, the anxiety of where to study and how to best execute that time sets in. Studying options on campus are pretty limited, unless you’re up to arriving at PJ’s promptly when it opens in the morning and fighting to the death to preserve your booth, or stalking a study room in the LBC for 24 hours straight. Here are the 5 Phases of Studying in Howie T, when those cubicle walls start to feel like they’re drawing in and the clausterphobia and struggle get terribly, terribly real.

1. Couches outside of PJ’s – 1st Floor

At this point, you’ve just arrived at the library and are still feeling pretty optimistic about your studies. You feel that that you can handle the risk of being right next to food, coffee, and your friends throwing miscellaneous things from their bags at you out of boredom. Party on, optimistic studier.

2. Group study tables – 2nd floor

After a few hours on the 1st floor you and your friends realize that the social atmosphere of the couches was not very conducive to studying. After staring at the same line for thirty minutes straight, you all make the treck up the 2nd floor to the more productive “quiet area.”

3. Table in the corner – 3rd floor

It’s been a few hours again, and the distraction of so many stressed out students going through various stages of grief is too much for you. You need to get out of the centralized location of the 2nd floor and move up to a table just off the beaten path on the 3rd floor. After finding this location with a white board AND a drinking fountain, you finally feel like you’ve hit the jack pot. Or at least somewhere with running water to camp out for the foreseeable future.

4. The farthest corner possible – 4th Floor

This is the definition of introversion and seclusion. Hidden in the depths of the farthest away corner of the 4th floor, many students don’t even know these tables exist. Now absolutely no one can find you and your few friends that have stuck it out on this heroic adventure.

5. The cubicles – 2nd Floor

You’ve finally figured out that studying with friends is a horrible, horrible idea. You treck down to the 2nd floor once more and face your studies with bravery and determination. Happy studying!

Her Campus Tulane