5 Movies You’re Sure to Fall in Love with on Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

If you’ve left Tulane’s campus or turned on the TV anytime in the month of February, you’ll understand how difficult it is to miss the signs that Valentines day is fast approaching: candy lining the store shelves, jewelry commercials popping up on TV and restaurants advertising special super romantic dinners.

Whether you’ve found that special someone or you’re fabulous and single, these tell tale signs can amp up the stress that inevitably accompanies this often-fraught holiday. It doesn’t matter if you’re freaking out over burning the cookies you made for your boyfriend or planning the perfect evening for you and your single friends, everyone deserves a break from the stress and a reason to remember the real reason for V-Day (cheesy, I know). That’s why I’ve compiled a list of my 5 favorite romantic movies to bring you together with the people you love.

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (2008)

Let’s just get this out of the way: British slang is about a million times better than the tired US expressions we are used to hearing every day. Whether the characters in this coming of age tale are referring to their nervous breakdown as nervy b’s or discussing whether they are “boylingual” in their enviable British accents, this movie is sure to provide endless entertainment at your girls night in (or movie date with a very, very tolerant boyfriend).

The Proposal (2009)

Quick confession: I watch this movie EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I find it on TV. It doesn’t matter if it’s the season finale of Scandal or I have a huge test the next day, if Sandra Bullock is singing “Get Low” in the middle of the Alaskan woods, I’m watching.  I also truly believe that it is a difficult, if not impossible, task to find someone who won’t at least mildly enjoy this movie. It’s funny and heartfelt enough to entertain any audience, and steers clear of some of the super cheesy clichés that can make some romantic movies borderline painful to watch.

The Wedding Singer (1998)

While we’re on the subject of cinematic confessions, I’ll be honest and admit that I watched this movie when it first came out on VHS (I’m getting old, I know). Featuring the best and worst of the end of the 20th century (worst: horrifying fashion, best: young Drew Barrymore who is undeniably charming), you have to see this romantic tale featuring Adam Sandler as, you guessed it, a wedding singer if you haven’t already.

Legally Blonde (2001)

If you’re recently single, this is the perfect movie to remind you that you can still kick butt (both professionally and personally) after the end of a relationship. Whether this is your first time viewing this classic or your millionth time cheering on Elle as she conquers the LSAT and then the courtroom, it’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face and give you a whole new list of quotable movie lines.

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Romantic enough to satisfy the sap that comes out in all of us around February the 14th and funny enough not to the send the average boy running for the hills, this 80’s classic is perfect for either a romantic date night in or a fun movie night with your girls. Get creative and make high school lunch-themed snacks (sandwiches, chips, soda) to set the tone for this detention-themed film. 

Her Campus Tulane