5 Alternative Uses for Olive Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

To most people, olive oil is an ingredient that stays strictly in the kitchen. However, this ingredient is one of beauty’s best kept secrets. Old hollywood actresses, including Sophia Loren, swear by olive oil for their skin, hair and nails. Olive oil has intensive moisturizing properties that do wonders for the skin, hair and nails. Because the molecules in olive oil are larger than the pores on your face, girls with any skin type can use olive oil without worrying about breaking out or clogging their pores. Below are a list of five unconventional and different ways that you can use olive oil:

1. Makeup Remover

Olive oil is amazing at getting rid of excess eye makeup while simultaneously nourishing the skin. All you need is a cotton pad with a little drizzle of the oil on top. 

2. Hair Mask

Measure out 4-6 tablespoons of olive oil and then massage into your hair from root to tip. Gather your hair into a top knot and cover with a shower cap for 20-30 minutes. For even more deep conditioning, use a blow dryer for the first 5-10 minutes of the mask to open up your hair follicles and to activate the oil. 

3. Night Serum

Apply a generous layer of olive oil onto your face before bed. Olive oil is extremely hydrating and works wonders on the skin, especially when it has time to soak in overnight. 

4. Shaving Cream

Apply a thick coat of olive oil onto your legs to act as a shaving cream. The consistency of the oil allows you to get a very close shave while simultaneously moisturizing the areas you’re shaving. 

5. Cuticle Oil

Rubbing olive oil into the cuticles will moisturize and soften them. 

Instead of going out to the store and buying five different products for five different purposes, save yourself some money and time and go for olive oil!

Her Campus Tulane