SoulCycle, Is it Worth the Hefty Price Tag?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Why SoulCycle is Worth the Money

Since opening in 2006 in NYC, SoulCycle has been at the forefront of the group fitness class trend, with 85 studios and counting across the country. SoulCycle is a 45-minute indoor cycling class, and has become the most popular cycling workout in the US. Despite the hefty price tag of $34 per class, there’s a reason why people maintain their loyalty to SoulCycle as their workout of choice and are willing to pay the price. While this may seem like a steep price to pay for a workout, SoulCycle is an extremely effective way of improving your health because of the physical workout, the therapeutic environment, the sense of community, and the motivational instructors.

1. The Killer Workout

Physically, SoulCycle instructors are trained to ensure that you get the best workout you possibly can in the span of 45 minutes. Most instructors mix up sections of endurance, high-intensity intervals, and hills in addition to the weighted arm workout portion, which helps you improve your cardio stamina and building strength in your legs, core and arms. Additionally, unlike a solo workout at the gym, the instructors change up the music and the choreography from class to class, which keeps your workout fun and keeps your body guessing. Cycling is also a very effective low-impact workout that does not put as much strain on your joints as other forms of exercise. The instructors make sure you maintain proper form as you move through the cycling class and get a great workout that is good for your body as well. Those who attend SoulCycle classes will start to notice the physical health benefits of the cardio class, including a stronger heart, improved brain function, better sleep and weight loss.

2. The Therapeutic Environment

In terms of the physical environment, when you first walk in the studio, you will see that the common areas are clean, bright, and fresh-smelling. Inside the cycling studio, there is low-lighting, there are candles and aspirational wall decal, such as “ATHLETE,” “WARRIOR,” and “find your soul.” Together, these create an environment in which Soul students can be stress-free and relax. Additionally, the expensive grapefruit candles, bathroom soaps and SoulCycle gear as well as the excellent customer service offer a feeling of luxury that does not exist at most other cycling studios. You will feel as though you are really treating yourself to something nice every time you enter the studio. SoulCycle invites people to escape from their daily lives, and encourages them to spend 45 minutes focusing on doing something good for your body and just letting go.

3. The Sense of Community

The sense of community at SoulCycle is also a huge part of the environment. Creating relationships with other people in your class or attending classes with friends makes working out fun. It also gives students a sense of motivation and holds them accountable for their workouts. Additionally, people love to feel a sense of belonging to a group. The fun social environment is energizing, and people can leave the class feeling relaxed and in a better mood.

4. The Motivating Instructors

SoulCycle instructors use inspiring words to encourage students to let go of any stresses or inhibitions they may have in order to physically push themselves past their limits. This is different from working out on your own outside or at the gym because you have constant affirmations from an instructor throughout your workout, keeping you pumped up and driven to work hard until the very end of the class. The instructors also play into the meditational and therapeutic environment of SoulCycle as well, by encouraging students to put things into perspective and not take life too seriously. These exhortations in combination with each instructor’s fun playlist keeps you motivated throughout the class.  

Whether you’re a SoulCycle fanatic and attend class everyday, or only do it every once in awhile in addition to going to the gym, the benefits of the 45-minute cycling class remain. And, once you decide that a SoulCycle class is worth it, you will push yourself harder during the class to be sure you get every cent out of your investment. Even if you’re a poor college student like I am and can only attend at most once per week, SoulCycle will help you improve your physical and mental health in ways that other gyms and studios cannot offer. This is due to the caliber of its environment, its instructors and even its price tag. I encourage you all to treat yourself to a class one day and “find your soul!”

Be sure to check out these other less expensive indoor cycling options in the Boston area!

Courtney is a junior at Tufts University where she is majoring in International Relations with a double minor in Communications & Media studies and Economics. She has previously worked for Santander Bank US as a Digital Marketing Analytics Intern as well as Jumpstart Knowledge Adventure where she focused on Social Media Content Creation.