Seven Ways To Wear Leggings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Think leggings are oh-so-basic? Consider adding a few key pieces to your wardrobe, and you’ll never sacrifice comfort for style. Here are seven ways to wear your favorite pair of black leggings out of the gym.

Power dressing. A sharp black blazer and black sneaker-heels take your basic black leggings from the gym to the classroom. Add some gold accessories for a look that’s professional but edgy. Just keep your shirt length in mind so you leave something to the imagination.

Nicole Blazer Cape, $82, pixiemarket.com

Sweater weather. On a chilly winter day, throw your favorite oversized sweater over a longer denim or flannel button-down for an effortlessly stylish getup. Chunky oxfords and a leather carryall give the look a chic finish.

RD Style Cropped Cable Sweater, $69, piperlime.com

Camo cool. Nothing says downtown flair like an army green anorak—throw one on over leggings to go from basic to off-duty model. Don’t be afraid to sport your favorite sneakers; a sleek pair of Nikes gives your look comfort and a sporty edge.

Numph X UO Anola Neon-Trim Parka, $249, urbanoutfitters.com

High knees. A great knee-high boot slides perfectly over leggings.  Complete the polished preppy look with a leather jacket, scarf, and button-down.  

Sam Edelman Over the Knee Boots- Jacob Stretch, $275, bloomingdales.com

Tie it up. The first commandment of leggings: cover thy rear. Tying a plaid flannel around your waist elevates your leggings to pants status and gives any outfit a splash of grunge. Finish the look with a pair of Timberlands or motorcycle boots and studded accessories. 

Split Back Plaid Shirt, $19.80, forever21.com

Coat of arms. For that lovely Medford “breeze,” cover up in a cozy coat. Slim-fitted leggings balance out oversized outerwear, so you can be snug without looking like you’re wearing a Snuggie. Top it off with a fedora and leather gloves, because frostbite is never in style.

Check on It Sweater Coat, $88, nastygal.com

Sporty spice. Just because you leave the gym doesn’t mean you should give up the athletic look. Go for the gold, and pair your cropped leggings with a graphic sweatshirt and sneakers. Bonus points for a flat-brimmed hat (hint: leather is better!).

Petals & Peacocks IDK Crop Sweatshirt, $52, nastygal.com 

Photo sources: nastygal.com, forever21.com, bloomingdales.com, urbanoutfitters.com, piperlime.com, pixiemarket.com