Seven Ways to Eat Healthier at Dewick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

When you walk into Dewick after a long day of classes, exams, and studying in Tisch, all you want to eat is comfort food. The onion rings, fries, and sundae Sunday ice cream can be so tempting, but they just leave you feeling guilty and bloated. Stop surrendering to tempting junk food! Here are seven ways to eat healthier at Dewick:

1. Use the salad bar

Vegetables will always be your best friend by keeping your body healthy! Try making your salad more nutritious and yummy by adding cheese, hard-boiled eggs, or beans.

Also try to avoid creamy dressings like Caesar or Ranch, and choose oil and vinegar instead!

2. Use a bowl instead of a plate

When I use a plate, it is usually full after I go to the hot food section, and I’m often too lazy to go back to the salad bar afterwards. Instead of a plate, fill a bowl with some salad items like baby spinach, corn, carrots, etc., and top it with chicken or steak and other hot vegetables from the hot food line. Voilà, you’ve got the best of both worlds!

3. Avoid eye contact with the unhealthy sections

The best way to avoid even the chance of getting unhealthy food on your plate is to not see the food. Make sure to walk straight past the pizza and do not spend your time in the ridiculously long sundae line!

4. Eat in small portions

When getting food, you can cut your portions down by taking only half a piece of fish, or taking only half a bagel, so you don’t overeat or waste. If you’re like me and like variety, taking small amounts of lots of food is a great way to eat a little bit of everything.

5. Healthy breakfast

Believe it or not, skipping breakfast will only make you hungrier throughout the day. Research also shows that eating breakfast keeps you sharper! Try to have breakfast every day, especially for morning classes (even if you just grab a piece of fruit on the way). Dewick has great breakfast options, but fruit and Greek yogurt are always better for you than pancakes and bacon. And that brings us to the next tip…

6. HYGY (Have your Greek yogurt)

Greek yogurt has more protein and less sugar than regular yogurt, and it’s great for digestion. Make your Greek yogurt sweeter by mixing in jam or fruit, and top it with granola!

7. Do the math

You are what you eat! There are nutrition labels on almost everything in Dewick. Make sure to keep an eye on your calories and nutrients for the day!

Eating healthier will boost your mood and help you to feel better about yourself, so try out these tips next time you’re in the dining hall!

Photo sources: webmd.com, thefitnessfashionista.com, colorfuldishes.com, dining.tufts.edu