jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Most Basic Guide to Starbucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Although Tufts does not have a Starbucks located on campus, the ride to Davis Square’s Starbucks is totally worth it this fall/winter. In the midst of midterms, why not switch things up and try something new?

Before we begin to dissect drinks based on your mood, here are some basic Starbucks terms that you should know:

• Short: This is an 8 oz drink, which is the smallest size offered. It is not generally on the menu, but it exists!
  • Mini: If you feel like treating yourself to a Frappuccino, order yourself a mini frap! They contain a fraction of the calories and are always satisfying.
  • Tall: Your standard 12 oz drink. What people consider a “small” size.
  • Grande: Your 16 oz drink. What people consider a “medium” size.
  • Venti: 20 oz of a hot drink or 24 oz of a cold drink. Could be considered a “large” size.
  • Trente: 30 oz of a cold drink only. Unfortunately, this size is not offered for hot drinks; it’s mainly for iced teas!
  • Skinny: Feeling healthy? Get the skinny version of any drink (non-fat milk).

In dire need of caffeine? Midterms getting the best of you? Here are the basic espresso drinks:

• Latte: An espresso with steamed milk and foam. They are generally not sweetened unless you ask for sugar or a syrup.
  • Cappuccino: Essentially, this is a latte filled with foam because it is half milk or half foam. Like the espresso, it’s not sweetened. It is stronger and more bitter than a latte, but it also contains fewer calories.
  • Caramel Macchiato: A vanilla latte with even more foam and a caramel drizzle. You’ve probably seen this drink on a lot of Starbucks ads. It is on the sweeter side because of the caramel.
  • Americano: Basically an espresso with hot water. This makes it about the same strength of regular coffee.
  • Mocha: Espresso mixed with steamed milk and chocolate. You can get whipped cream on top if you’d like. Even though it has chocolate, it isn’t too sweet. Tip: Craving a mix of sweet and salty? Try the salted caramel mocha! But beware, it can be heavy on the stomach and it’s super rich.
  • Espresso: Exactly what’d you’d think it is: a shot of espresso that approximates to one ounce. Be warned: this is the strongest and most bitter tasting coffee there is. But if you love the taste of coffee, this is the drink for you.

Not a coffee fan but need a kick of caffeine? I don’t enjoy the taste of coffee, but I love the following drinks:

• Classic Hot Chocolate: Chocolate mixed with steamed milk and some vanilla flavor. You can ask for it without whipped cream if you aren’t feeling all the calories or richness. Warning! This drink is very rich, so I suggest getting a tall.
  • Chai Tea Latte: This is my favorite drink of all time. It is sweetened Chai syrup (tea, spices, and sweetener) added to steamed milk and hot water. Make sure to ask for your chai tea without water! Trust me, it tastes way better and it’s more flavorful! And, if you’re getting an iced chai (good for any time of the year), be sure to ask for light ice; you’ll get more of the drink!
  • Oprah Chai Tea Latte: Do you like a stronger chai? Try the Oprah Chai. It’s much stronger, more flavorful, and has a more cinnamony taste.

Feeling healthy or just not in the mood for coffee? Try a refresher! They’re all less than 100 calories if you get a tall, but they can be super rich, so only drink one if you want a sweet, cold drink!

• There are three flavors: Cool Lim,Cool Lime, Strawberry Acai, Very Berry Hibiscus
  • They’re all less than 100 calories if you get a tall!
  • Caution: They can be super sweet though so only drink one if you want a sweet cold drink!

Missing summer? Want a refreshing drink to take you back to summer memories? Try one of these iced teas:

• Tazo Black Tea Lemonade: Black tea is the most oxidized of all teas. It generally has a stronger flavor. The Tazo black tea mixed with lemonade is essentially the Starbucks version of an Arnold Palmer. If an Arnold Palmer doesn’t scream summer, then I don’t know what does.

• Mango Black Tea Lemonade: It’s super sweet and fruity. It is delicious; however, if you are not feeling a super sweet drink then get it unsweetened! Caution: it is a seasonal flavor and probably won’t be around for much longer, so try it while it’s still in stores!

• Green Tea Lemonade: Green tea has a sweeter flavor to it, but is always a popular choice. Starbucks fans get it unsweetened most of the time to try to stay healthy! Don’t want the lemonade? Just get an iced green tea!

• Sweet Tea Lemonade: Similar to the black tea lemonade, but sweeter.

The holidays are right around the corner.. try a seasonal drink!

• Peppermint Hot Chocolate: The classic hot chocolate sparked with a dash of peppermint flavor! A must try :)

• Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate: Don’t like coffee but love a mix of sweet and salty? Try this, I promise you won’t regret it! It is super rich though so beware!

• Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha: Your classic mocha with pumps of white chocolate syrup. Also pretty sweet!

• Peppermint Mocha: Mocha with a dash of peppermint syrup. Always a seasonal favorite.

• Toasted Graham Latte: A FALL 2015 EXCLUSIVE!! The latte tastes like graham crackers. I promise it does not taste as boring as it sounds.

• White Chocolate Mocha: Like the peppermint white chocolate mocha without peppermint. Still delicious just not as sweet as the peppermint white chocolate mocha.

• Pumpkin Spice Latte: The most basic of all basic fall drinks. You need to try one at least once in your life. I hate coffee and I LOVE this. What tastes more like fall than something pumpkin spiced? BEWARE VEGANS and LACTOSE INTOLERANT: pumpkin flavored anything contains dairy and a lot of it!!!!

• Gingerbread Latte: A pretty sweet latte. It is a classic espresso with steamed milk and pumps of gingerbread syrup. It is topped with whipped cream and ground nutmeg.

• Caramel Brulee Latte: It’s an espresso with steamed milk and caramel brulee syrup. It’s topped with whipped cream and a caramel brulee topping. It’s pretty sweet so make sure you’re in the mood for a sweet drink!

Want to spice up an Espresso, Mocha, Latte, or Cappuccino? They generally make a drink sweeter and more flavorful (but also add more calories to your drink) Try one of these drink flavors…

As of winter 2015, here are the syrups that Starbucks has available:

• Vanilla (available sugar-free)

• Caramel (available sugar-free)

• Cinnamon Dolce (available sugar-free)

• Hazelnut (available sugar-free)

• Toffee Nut

• Peppermint (available sugar-free seasonally)

• Raspberry

• Classic (simple syrup; a mixture of sugar and water)

• Mocha (available sugar-free)

• White Mocha

• Tazo Chai (the standard, classic Chai)

• Teavana Oprah Chai

Seasonal Flavors:

• Pumpkin Spice: Usually available from October until January or February.

• Caramel Brulee: It’s usually available from November to Jan/Feb, as stock runs out.

• Sugar-Free Peppermint: Another winter seasonal syrup

• Gingerbread: winter seasonal syrup, usually available from November through Jan/Feb.

To all vegans and lactose intolerant: You can get any of these drinks with coconut milk! People are huge fans of getting coconut milk in their drinks! As previously stated, be cautious of the pumpkin spice syrup because it contains dairy.

Want access to the Starbucks Secret Menu? There is an app you can get (just look up Starbucks Secret Menu in the app store).

Photo Sources:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/79/44/c7/7944c78039016ce3ba77d1da…

http://jacksonville.com/

http://weheartit.com

http://lp.starbucks.com/teavana

http://miner8.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/starbucks-winter.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12460602_f496.jpg

Ellexa is a features writer at Her Campus. As a senior Tufts University, Ellexa studies economics and fim & media studies. She plays varsity field hockey at Tufts, has her own weekly webcasted show called Bo Zone, plays club lacrosse at Tufts, and writes for Tufts' chapter of Her Campus. In her free time, she loves to hang out with friends, watch Suits, online shop, and drink lots of iced chai tea lattes. After graduation, Ellexa hopes to work in the broadcast journalism industry.