Healthy Valentine’s Day Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

With Valentines Day just around the corner, we find ourselves using this day for an excuse to eat LOTS of chocolate and LOTS of strawberries and maybe just a few chocolate covered strawberries. Whether you’re buying bags and bags of chocolate to give out to girlfriends, a special someone, or just yourself, get creative and try some of these healthy, chocolate and strawberry recipes!

Classic Skinny Chocolate Covered Strawberries

This dessert is pure, simple, and the perfect healthy alternative to anything chocolate covered. All you need to do is to first rinse and completely dry your strawberries.  This is essential for getting proper coverage and flawless results.  Microwave 4 oz. of dark semi-sweet chocolate for 30 seconds. After the chocolate is completely melted, dip the strawberries in and twirl.  Enjoy immediately or pop them in the fridge for safekeeping!

Refreshing Strawberry Smoothie

This simple non-dairy smoothie is quick to make and works as a filling snack. Place 2 cups of almond milk into a blender.  Mix in a tbsp. of honey, a tsp. of vanilla extract, and a cup of frozen strawberries

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie

Did you know that the secret for an amazing smoothie lies in our favorite green fruit? Avocados add a delicious, unique, silky texture to your smoothie that I love and that I am sure you will too! Combine a rip avocado, a tbsp. of cocoa powder, 2 tbsp. of chocolate sauce, half a banana, and a cup of chocolate almond milk into a blender and mix. This smoothie is to DIE for. It may even make or break a heart or two.

Vegan Whipped Strawberries

This recipe is my favorite dairy free alternative to whipped cream. All you need is a can of coconut milk, a tablespoon of pure maple syrup, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. 

Chill the can of coconut milk overnight and carefully open the can without shaking it.  Scoop out only the cream that floats on the top and add the syrup and vanilla into a mason jar.  Shake for 4 minuets until the cream is thick and fluffy. Immediately serve for best results!  

Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge

Although sugar free, these fudge squares won’t disappoint.  Melt ½ cup of coconut butter and combine a ripe banana, ½ tsp. of cinnamon, pinch of salt, a packet of stevia (a natural sugar substitute), ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, and ½ tsp. of pure vanilla extract into a food processor.  After placing the fudge into a plastic container, place it into the fridge for a couple hours and then cut and enjoy! 

Tori Lin is from Seattle, WA and is pursuing International Finance and Entrepreneurship at Tufts University! She is passionate about fashion, health, beauty, and food.  She is currently a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista and a brand Ambassador for Neurobrands (drinkneuro) and Lyft. Check out her webpage, blog DinWithTlin and connect with her through Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn! 
Danyelle McInnis is a graduating senior at Tufts University, majoring in English.  She's interested in short story-writing, journalism, marketing, photography, creating websites, baking, and grilled cheese sandwiches.  She's left-handed and always has a secret stash of candy on hand in case the world suddenly runs out of sugar.  In her spare time, she writes about her ongoing transformation from pack rat to minimalist on her blog, Greyer Than Gray.