sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guide to Navigating Halloween Weekend at Tufts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

With Halloween approaching this Friday, we know that you ladies must be wondering what a typical Halloween at Tufts is like. During one of the few times throughout the year when you can dress up three nights in a row, get ready to take advantage of an exciting Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Campus will be bustling with different Halloween events, and the whole city of Boston will be celebrating this exciting holiday.

Costumes are obviously the most important part of Halloween weekend at Tufts. If you plan on celebrating the festivities three nights in a row, you may need to create three different costumes. There are many costume shops throughout the city for those who want to dazzle in a pre-packaged costume. If you are more of a DIY kind of girl, do not feel obligated to go out and buy a costume. Here at Tufts, creativity reigns, and it is always fun for an individual or a group of friends to come up with a creative theme based on items they already own. Sometimes, coming up with a costume idea is as fun as wearing the actual costume. Be prepared to see all types of costumes around campus, as Tufts is known for having an imaginative student body. Halloween is a time to express yourself, and people will take pride in their costumes. Remember, this is the optimal time of year to dress up in crazy outfits with a large part of the student body, so let your creative side dominate and have fun with your costume.

Costumes and parties are obviously a main attraction of this holiday in college, but you can still keep your classic traditions of Halloween by decorating your dorm, listening to Halloween music, or watching classic Halloween movies (#TBT). One affordable, cute way to get your dorm in the Halloween spirit is by putting up window gel stickers. You can get pumpkin or ghost ones at CVS or the dollar store, and they are a constant reminder of the season! Also, don’t be afraid to start listening to Monster Mash and Ghostbusters—if Dewick is playing them, so should you! Finally, you don’t have to end each of your Halloween weekend nights drunk and passed out—all of us are probably in need of a night in. Watch a scary or funny Halloween-themed movie with your friends to maintain the Halloween mood and rejuvenate for your next day of Halloween fun. Halloween Town? The Addams Family? Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Frankenstein?

Your first Halloween away from home and in college is a new experience. Whether you’re spending a Halloween night in handing out candy (or shoveling candy corn into your mouth), or going wild at one of the many parties here at Tufts, the day and weekend won’t lack in spirit and will certainly be what you make of it. Be innovative, have fun, and get ready to take on Halloween in a potentially new, crazy, and adventurous way. 

photos courtesy of: sclera-lenses.com and pocketpcentral.net