This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Get the confidence to show off your arms in a cut-off or halter by following these three upper body circuits.

Circuit 1: Standing Bicep Curls and Push-Ups

Stand up straight with a dumbbell in each hand; you can start out light and move on to heavier weight, as you get stronger! Keep your elbows close to your torso with your palms facing forward. Maintaining your upper arms still, curls the weights up and contract your biceps until the weights are level with your shoulders. Hold this position at the top as you squeeze your biceps before you release to starting position. Do 4 sets of 12 reps. Next, finish this circuit with 15 push-ups; make sure your chest goes as low to the ground as possible and that your butt stays flat with your back! 

Circuit 2: Tricep Pull-Downs/Crunches

Attach a straight (or angled) bar or rope to a high pulley and hold with an overhand grip. Standing with your torso straight, leaning slightly forward, bring your upper arms close to your body while your forearms are pointed up towards the pulley. Using your triceps, move the bar down until it reaches your upper thigh; your arms should be fully extended. Hold this position, with your triceps contracted, for a second, and then slowly return to your starting position. Do 4 sets of 12 and complete the circuit with 30 crunches; this is a good way to get your core active as well! 

Circuit 3: Light Weight Dumbbell Shoulder Raise/Sit Ups

Grab the dumbbells with your elbows slightly bent and place them in front of your thighs. Keep a slight bend in your knees and hips. Raise your arms until they reach shoulder height and return to starting position. Keep the weight light to reduce stress on your shoulder and back. Do 4 sets of 15 followed by 20 full sit-ups to work your abs! 

Workout Designed by trainer Travis Sample http://travissample.com, exrx.com, bodybuilding.com

Photos courtesy of: happyfitmama.com, womenshealthmag.com, lateralraises.com, leanitup.com

My name is Marissa and I'm a member of Her Campus at Tufts University. I'm part of the class of 2017 and am majoring in Biopsychology. I am also a member of the Tufts University Varsity Softball team and plan on rushing in the spring. I'm very interested in volunteer work and am looking forward to an awesome college experience!
Danyelle McInnis is a graduating senior at Tufts University, majoring in English.  She's interested in short story-writing, journalism, marketing, photography, creating websites, baking, and grilled cheese sandwiches.  She's left-handed and always has a secret stash of candy on hand in case the world suddenly runs out of sugar.  In her spare time, she writes about her ongoing transformation from pack rat to minimalist on her blog, Greyer Than Gray.