Freshman Reaction to Tufts Halloweekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

I expected the actual night of Halloween to be crazy— especially considering it was on a Friday. Yet, I had no idea that Thursday and Saturday night would also be full of spooky celebration.

Thursday:

Not having Friday classes meant I could definitely take advantage of the first night. I was a little reluctant to throw on my best planned costume because I thought that Thursday night would just be a fraction of what was to come. I wanted everyone to see my perfect Tina (from Bob’s Burgers) costume, but eventually agreed when my roommate insisted we wear them. Turns out, there was no need to fret. There were plenty of party-goers to gander at my costume. It seems as if a little more than the usual partying crowd showed their disguised faces Thursday night.

Friday:

Rolled out of bed at 12 in the afternoon and went straight to Carm. It wasn’t anywhere near nightfall, yet there were so many students in costumes. Most impressive was a girl adorned in a wig, with seriously spooky zombie face makeup. While I was definitely inspired to step up my game that night, all I could think about was how much I wanted to crawl back into my bed – which is exactly what I did.

Also, there were hundreds of pumpkins on literally every roof and ledge on campus. There was even one on the Carm spire! HOW?!

Once I recovered (which admittedly wasn’t until sunset), I threw on my 90’s Florida tourist costume, complete with a Hawaiian shirt and fanny pack. After a little Halloween celebration in the dorm, we hit Pro Row with an entire army of my guy friends in playboy bunny costumes (quintessential example of breaking gender stereotypes).

Also, bless President Monaco for handing out candy and reminding students to be safe while in his Batman costume. That man is amazing.

Saturday:

While some unsuspecting frosh may have thought the Halloween festivities had concluded, I knew fully well that there was yet another night. My last costume was made from an old and excessively large security guard uniform shirt that I found at a thrift store. I was expecting some seriously halfhearted outfits Saturday since it was the third and final day of Halloweekend, but I was fortunately so wrong. Despite its being scarily close to freezing, boys and girls alike were dressed in their wonderfully minimally-clothed costumes. That is dedication, collegiettes.

Sunday

Woke up at 11am and it was snowing??? Welcome to New England, I guess. I, along with a good portion of the rest of campus, spent the entirety of Sunday recovering from Halloweekend festivities. Being exhausted was a small price to pay for the incredibly fun three nights.

Number one thing I learned during Halloweekend: Jumbos know how to do Halloween right.

Being on a campus with so many unique and intelligent students means there were some incredibly clever costumes. While there were your classic cats and bunnies, an overwhelming majority of the costumes were both unique and creative. Now I can’t wait for next year’s halloweekend! 

Hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, Morgan is a Sophmore at Tufts University majoring in International Relations and French. Other than HerCampus, some things she does includes playing Club Volleyball, being a part of KAO, walking dogs that live around campus (!!!), and napping professionally.