Breaking Up With The Elliptical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Whether you go to the gym to relieve stress, procrastinate, or simply secure bragging rights over the fact that you did indeed workout, you are doing something good for yourself–mentally and physically. But why is it that we’re all so attached to the elliptical and stair master? Is it fear of the other machines? Don’t want to get too big? For those girls who crush their workouts in a variety of ways, keep it up. But to those of you who are confused, nervous, or simply comfortable in their own ways, I challenge you to expand your workout horizons and to experiment with some of the following exercises. Challenge yourself and your muscles a little! Who knows; you may even like it!Here are some tips and workout ideas: 

1. Use the elliptical as a warm up. Spend 10-15 minutes working up a sweat and getting your heart rate up. It’s not a bad machine, but it only works a few muscle groups, and it’s definitely not worthy of a full-body sweat. 

2. After the warm up, try out some light weight lifting (like squats with an overhead press using 5-pound weights). Hold the weights in each hand right above your shoulders as you squat, but as you stand, raise and straighten your arms. You should feel this in your quadriceps, hamstrings, butt, abs, and shoulders. Try 3 sets of 15 – you’ll feel it the next day, but that’s okay!

3. Machines are scary, but try one out anyway! Use the pull-down machine to tone your lats, biceps, middle back, and shoulders. Remember to use an overhand grip, and to increase weight when necessary. Try 3 sets of 15!

4. Don’t like the machines? Perhaps some leg-toning no-weight workouts would be better. Grab a Bozo ball and try one of these:Bozo squats: make sure the ball is on the ground while the flat plastic side faces up. Slowly and carefully get step onto the flat side with your feet placed shoulder-width apart. Squat to 90 degrees without allowing the ball to move too much. The more stable you are, the more you work your muscles. Try 3 sets of 10!Bozo lunges: Now flip the Bozo ball so that the ball faces upward. Put your front foot on the ball and lunge to 90 degrees. The instability you may feel helps build muscle and balance. For an extra challenge grab a few 5-pound weights! Do 3 sets of 15 on each leg.

5. Give your triceps a little TLC by doing some dips. Grab a chair or bench and sit on its edge. Put your hands about shoulder-width apart on either side of your body and slide your butt off the edge with your legs straight out in front of you. Bend your arms to 90 degrees at the elbow, and then push yourself back up (remember to keep your bottom close to the bench). Try to keep your shoulders even with your collarbone. Do 3 sets of 10!

**Modification: Bend your legs

6. Now let’s get some cardio in! Get back on that elliptical and do a preset interval workout, grab a bike and pedal your way to a higher heart rate, or jump on the treadmill. Whatever you do, try for 30 minutes or more in order to ensure that you’re really getting that heart rate up.Don’t be scared to try new things, ladies! The elliptical is a great machine for cardio, but really shouldn’t be the only workout you do at the gym if you’re looking for total body training and toning. Weights don’t have to be big, or used at all. The gym can be fun and a great method of procrastination if you’re doing the right things. Don’t sell yourself short after you’ve trekked all the way across campus for the gym – sweating is good!

I’m not telling you to sever all ties with the elliptical, but perhaps some time with other machines would be a good thing.