3 Essentials For Moving From West Coast to East Coast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

For those of you packing for college, you might be scrambling to figure out how to not only fit your entire life into two suitcases, but also how to survive living in an unfamiliar territory halfway across the country. Packing for college may be one of the most stressful tasks you’ve ever encountered, especially if you are moving from coast to coast. Since packing for my move from Seattle to Boston left me distraught, I hope to ease some of your angst about dressing for the winter tundra by recommending some items you should bring as you move from coast to coast.  

Unlike the west coast where seasons gradually overlap, seasons on the east coast are very distinct. Coming from the west, the drastic climate switch was definitely one of the biggest shocks I had to deal with. Packing this year, I definitely made sure to be prepared for all four seasons, especially winter.  

Essential #1: Down Winter Coat and Warm Vest

I never realized just how chilly wintertime could be. In Seattle, winter meant a consistent 40 degrees with a sprinkle of snow every once in a while; and my puffy North Face was more than enough to get me through. But to my surprise, by November of last Fall, I was already asking my mom to ship me my thicker jackets. Investing in a down winter coat and a stylish warm vest is definitely worth it.

Essential #2: Boots with Traction

With winter comes snow, and with snow comes icy sidewalks. To get the most out of your boots, find a pair with some traction so that when it begins to get chilly, you won’t find yourself slipping and sliding on your way up to Olin.

These affordable booties function as both a snow boot and a transitional boot.

Essential #3: Scarves

The scarf is my personal favorite accessory. It’s perfect and appropriate throughout all seasons. The key is knowing the difference between a winter scarf and a summer one; have a variety of scarves – some that are thick and fluffy and others that are sheer and silky.

Check out these great Scarf Styles!

Tori Lin is from Seattle, WA and is pursuing International Finance and Entrepreneurship at Tufts University! She is passionate about fashion, health, beauty, and food.  She is currently a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista and a brand Ambassador for Neurobrands (drinkneuro) and Lyft. Check out her webpage, blog DinWithTlin and connect with her through Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn!