15 Female-Empowering Songs to Blast on Full Volume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

1. Woman -Ke$ha

Best Lyrics: “I’m a mother**ing woman, baby, alright/I don’t need a man to be holding me too tight.”

2. ***Flawless -Beyonce

Best Lyrics: (Taken from spoken word by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie) “Feminist: a person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.”

3. Run the World (Girls) -Beyonce

Best Lyrics: “Smart enough to make these millions / Strong enough to bear the children (children)”

4. Confident—Demi Lovato

Best Lyrics: “It’s time for me to take it / I’m the boss right now/ ‘Cause this is my game / and you better come to play”

5. Superwoman – Alicia Keys

Best Lyrics: “(And this is for) For all the mothers fighting / For better days to come / And all my woman, all my woman sitting her trying / To come home before the sun / And all my sisters coming together / Say “yes, I will.” And “yes, I can.”

6. Girl on Fire -Alicia Keys

Best Lyrics: “Looks like a girl but she’s a flame / So bright, she can burn your eyes / Better look the other way”

7. Salute – Little Mix

Best Lyrics: “You think we’re just pretty things / You couldn’t be more wrong/ We’re standing strong, we carry on / Knock us but we keep moving up / Can’t stop a hurricane, ladies it’s time to awake (yeah!)

8. Fight Song – Rachel Patton

Best Lyrics: “My power’s turned on / Starting right now I’ll be strong / I’ll play my fight song / And I don’t really care if nobody else believes / ‘Cause I’ve still got a lot of fight left in me.”

9. Can’t Hold us Down – Christina Aguilera

Best Lyrics: “This is for my girls all around the world / When you come across a man that don’t respect your word / Thinkin’ all woman should be seen not heard / So what do we do girls? Shout louder / Lettin’ ‘em know we’re gonna stand our ground.”

10. You Don’t Own Me – Lesley Gore 

Best Lyrics: “And don’t tell me what to do / Don’t tell me what to say / And please, when I go out with you / Don’t put me on display cause / You don’t own me”

11. Independent Woman – Destiny’s Child

Best Lyrics: “All the women, who are independent / Throw your hands up at me / All the honey’s, who making money / Throw your hands up at me.”

12. Sit Still, Look Pretty – Daya

Best Lyrics: “Oh I don’t know what you’ve been told / But this gal right here’s gonna rule the world / Yeah, that is where I’m gonna be because I wanna be / No I don’t wanna sit still, look pretty.”

13. Just a Girl – No Doubt

Best Lyrics: “I’m just a girl, all pretty and petite / So don’t let me have any rights / Oh, I’ve had it up to here.”

14. Girl in a Country Song – Maddie and Tae

Best Lyrics: “I hear you over there on your tailgate whistlin’ / Sayin “hey girl” but you know I aint listenin’ / ‘Cause I got a name / And to you it aint “pretty little thing’”

15. So What? – Pink

Best Lyrics: “So, so what? I’m still a rock star / I got my rock moves / And I don’t need you”

Junior at Tufts University