10 Things You Should Know Before You Dye Your Hair Blue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

At some point during winter break, I woke up with the urge to have blue hair and simply went and got it done. Although I have no regrets, there are a few things I have learned since then that I would have preferred to know before.

1. If you have dark hair like me, the bleaching is going to take forever and the entire process can take up to 6 hours. A book or a kindle, a phone charger, and food are all necessities!

2. The first few times you wash your hair, the water that comes from your head is going to be really, really vivid in color. I felt like I was leaking dishwasher soap.

3. Until you get used to it, once in a while, you’ll forget what your hair looks like and will get a small shock when you look into the mirror. What the – oh… right.

4. You’re going to turn a lot of things blue: the bathtub, your towel, your pillow… Once I came back with snow in my hair from playing outside and leaned against the wall in my hall. Now Hill has two random blue splotches on its walls.

5. Your hair is going to get tangled a lot more.

6. The color will fade. Whether or not you get it recolored, it will seem like your hair is just constantly changing. Which, although annoying at first, gets pretty cool.

7. Everyone is going to either compliment you or, if they think you’re weird for doing it, say that they’re impressed with how “brave” you are for doing something so “radical.” Cue hair flip either way.

8.  A lot of strangers will comment on your hair…mostly in a good way.

9. Your roommate will know right away how much hair you shed.

10. You’ll start being identified and remembered by your hair.

Now that you know what to expect, I strongly encourage you to go ahead and get your hair colored however you want! It’s an experience everyone should have at least once in their life! 

photo sources: s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com, lovethispic.com, i.giphy.com, beverlypress.com, tumblr.com, media2.giphy.com