St. Patrick’s Day Cocktails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Whether you’re Irish, a ginger, a leprechaun-lover, or even none of the above, everyone can agree that St. Patrick’s Day is a time to celebrate. With the holiday coming up in less than two weeks, it’s time to start party planning! Since a flight to Dublin for one day might be a little out of your price range, here are four easy recipes to bring a little bit of Ireland right to your kitchen.

1. Irish EyesWe’ve all heard of having googly eyes for that well-dressed lad or lady, but this St. Patrick’s Day, take it one step further with Irish Eyes. This refreshingly creamy Irish drink will have you dancing a jig all night long!

Ingredients:

1 ounce Irish Whiskey

1/4 ounce Creme de menthe

2 ounces Cream

Strain and pour the mixture into an old fashion glass like the Waterford goblets pictured here. For a finishing touch, add a piece of mint

Source: celebrations.com

2. Shamrock Shake Up : Bits of green from lime wedges and mint sprigs will will have you literally and figuratively shaking things up on St. Patty’s Day!

Ingredients:

¾ oz. lime juice

1½ oz. Absolut Miami

1 oz. simple syrup 

6 mint leaves

1 oz. soda

Garnish: mint sprig

Muddle mint leaves with simple syrup (equal parts sugar and hot water) and lime juice in a shaker. Add Absolut Miami, shake, and strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Finally, top with soda, and garnish with a mint sprig.

Source: cosmpolitan.com

3. Emerald Isle Cocktail : For something a little sweeter than a stein of Guinness, try this green cocktail which will be equally as festive and beyond tasty!

Ingredients: 

1 tsp Creme de Menthe Liqueur

2 oz Gin

3 dashes Bitters

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes, shake well, strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Source: Mixthatdrink.com

4. The Grasshopper : A quintessential Irish dessert cocktail. Sweeter than the Irish Eyes, this drink is pleasing to the eyes and lips!

Ingredients:

3/4 fluid ounce creme de menthe

3/4 fluid ounce white creme de cacao

1/4 fluid ounce heavy cream

1 cup ice

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Cover and shake until chilled. Strain into chilled cocktail glass.

Source: drinkesmixer.com

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.
Kat is a senior at Trinity College, majoring in American Studies with a concentration in Media and Communications and minoring in English. She serves as the Campus Correspondent for Trinity's chapter of Her Campus and also co-manages The Party of Two, a style blog that she shares with her twin. After graduation, Kat hopes to work in the fashion or editorial field. Apart from their blog, you can also follow Kat and Ash on their Instagram: @thepartyoftwo.