Obama is Protecting Planned Parenthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

In light of Donald Trump winning the Presidential election, President Obama has taken steps to protect Planned Parenthood government funding. A lot of people expressed concerns about him entering office and endangering the future of Planned Parenthood.  

Donald Trump has been very vocal that he is pro-life and is “committed to defunding Planned Parenthood.”  Planned Parenthood go beyond the confides of the abortion topic – Planned Parenthood also provides safe, effective contraception, pap smears, STD testing, and mammograms. 

The Huffington Post tells us that “The new rule, which The Department of Health and Human Services proposed last week, says that states cannot withhold Title X federal family planning money from certain recipients for any reason other than the provider’s ‘ability to deliver services to program beneficiaries in an effective manner.’ That means states can no longer vote to defund Planned Parenthood because some of its clinics offer abortion services.”  This proetection is being seen as Obama’s “last stand” before stepping down and peacefully handing over power.

This allows women access to birth control as well as cancer screenings. 

Regardless of this fantastic protection Obama has emplaced, Planned Parenthood still needs and appreicates private donations.  In fact, donations have hit an all time high.  Planned Parenthood remains to be a necessary institution in providing reproductive health care.