Nicole Lukac ’15 & Mercy Ward ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Names: Nicole Lukac & Mercy Ward

Year: Both 2015

About Nicole:

• Senior majoring in Psychology and minoring in Human Rights 
  •  From Guadalajara, Mexico 
  • Involved in: SECS for 3 semesters, President of Amnesty International, a Student Admissions Associate, and leader of the New Beginnings Group on campus  

About Mercy:

• Senior majoringin English literature
  • From Melrose, MA
  • Involved in: One of the co-coordinators of SECS, I’m also the president of Cleo of AX, and the global ambassador for Trinity-in-Buenos Aires 

Tell us about Take Back the Night. What’s the history of the event?

In the United States the earliest Take Back the Night marches were held in the ’70s in response to a spate of violent crimes against women. Because many crimes against women occurred at night the idea was to “reclaim” or Take Back” the night as a safe time for women. At Trinity students have sponsored rallies, marches – some loud some silent – and vigils for almost two decades. Hundreds have gathered every April to support survivors, end victim blaming, encourage active bystander intervention, raise awareness and educate the campus on resources, Title IX rights, reporting options and services available.

We Are Not Alone is this years’ theme: Survivors are not alone, and alone we cannot change the culture and end rape on campus. We must work together – we all have a stake in creating a violence free campus where respect and safety are the norm. 

What can students expect to see during the event tonight?

At TBTN, there will be acapella performances, testimonies given, student performances from dance and improve groups, and the president will say a few words. The event will be a celebration of survivors and a rally to combat rape culture, a call for improving campus culture and changing the narrative about sexual assault.  We hope to raise awareness about these important issues and educate students on how to be an active bystander and other steps to take to contribute to a positive social environment at Trinity.

How did you become involved with SECS? What opportunities are available for other students on campus?

Nicole: I have been a part of SECS for 3 semesters. I got involved with the group because as a rape survivor I wanted to raise awareness on the issue and help other victims feel supported. I wanted to be voice to those too scared to speak up. I no longer wanted to feel ashamed of what happened and joined the group as a healing process for myself and to help other survivors. 

Mercy: I have been a member of SECS and WGRAC since my freshman year, because I was a member of a similar alliance against violence in my hometown.  I think any effort to raise awareness or contest any culture of normalized sexual misconduct is extremely important.  Students can join our groups to help plan events such as these, or simply maintain a healthy outlook on these issues, by participating as an active bystander and not accepting actions which promote the rape culture.

What resources are available to students on campus where they can comfortably and openly talk about rape culture and sexual assault on campus?

Anyone is welcome to our SECS or WGRAC meetings, which are always a safe space for discussing these difficult issues.  Please see the back of our program for reporting options  chaplains and the counseling center are fully confidential, and the health center and Laura Lockwood are semi-confidential, which means a report will be made but names will not be included.  We hope to create an environment at Trinity where these issues will no longer be a taboo, a place where we can freely discuss the existing problems and work hard as a community to make changes where they need to be made.

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.
American Studies Major at Trinity College