Late-Night Footwear Solutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

To preface this article, I’ll start off by saying that I highly recommend you never under any circumstances ever type “frat basement sludge” into a Google image search. I mean, unless you want to induce a hefty wave of nausea upon yourself to the point of a subtle dry heave…I don’t know, your call. My point, even without regaling to you the specifics of what last night’s basement juice might look like pictured, is that you can probably gather it’s not pretty. But if my opening hasn’t been convincing enough, hopefully, you’ll consider the soon-to-be-dropping temps, and ulitmately realize that closed-toed shoes are ever-becoming ‘the move.’ Check out our picks of appropriate and late-night withstanding shoes below. 

The Sneaker:

My personal fave and go-to move is the sneaker. Some of the most popular choices around campus tend to be high top chucks, low chucks, adidas superstars, and women’s classic supergas. While white is a very prevalant pick in terms of color, a darker hue is probably smarter considering how dirty they’ll become. But if you’re still hung up on a lighter shade, I advise investing in some serious bleach.

The Boot:

I’m always torn when it comes to wearing boots at late night. It’s convenient if you have an old pair you can designate as frat boots, but it’s kind of difficult to find a cheap pair you can specifically buy for dirtying up. If the former doesn’t work out for you, sometimes stores like Steve Madden and Aldo offer a decent boot for a moderate price.

The Weather Boot:

Once snow / freezing rain comes into play, Hunter boots, Bean boots and Fryes all start making appearances. Not only are they all a dream in terms of comfort, but they’re also all extremely durable. Furthermore, the Bean and Hunter boots are made of plastic, making them easy and quick to clean. The beauty of the Frye boots, however, is that they can weather anything and somehow manage to become better looking with every passing Saturday night. 

Kat is a senior at Trinity College, majoring in American Studies with a concentration in Media and Communications and minoring in English. She serves as the Campus Correspondent for Trinity's chapter of Her Campus and also co-manages The Party of Two, a style blog that she shares with her twin. After graduation, Kat hopes to work in the fashion or editorial field. Apart from their blog, you can also follow Kat and Ash on their Instagram: @thepartyoftwo.