Jewelry that Gives Back: The Starfish Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Jewelry is something that can tie an entire outfit together, and the more meaning behind a piece of jewelry, the more special the outfit becomes.  Wouldn’t it be great if the jewelry you were wearing could not only make your outfit stellar, but also benefit someone on the other side of the world? The Starfish Project makes it their mission to do just that. 

If you’ve never heard of the Starfish Project, it is a jewelry company that gives refuge and care for women who have been affected by human trafficking and exploitation in Asia.  Not only do these women create beautiful jewelry, but they also become managers, accountants, graphic designers, and photographers!

Women receive training, healthcare and counsel, and shelter, and so far, the Starfish Project has helped over 100 women, which is truly remarkable. 

So why is it called the Starfish Project?  From their website, they give The Starfish Parable: One day, an old man was walking along a beach that was littered with thousands of starfish that had been washed ashore by the high tide. As he walked he came upon a young boy who was eagerly throwing the starfish back into the ocean, one by one.  Puzzled, the man looked at the boy and asked what he was doing. Without looking up from his task, the boy simply replied, “I’m saving these starfish, Sir”.

The old man chuckled aloud, “Son, there are thousands of starfish and only one of you. What difference can you make?”

The boy picked up a starfish, gently tossed it into the water and turning to the man, said, “I made a difference to that one!”

Not only is the Starfish Project such a worthy cause, the jewelry they make is also delicate and gorgeous.