Homecoming Cocktails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

With homecoming weekend just around the corner, it’s inevitable to start planning the basics: what to wear, where you’ll be, what you’ll do, and what you’ll drink! To help ease your stress, here is the guide to homecoming cocktails to ensure that you will have a fun time- Cheers!

Bloody Mary

A Bloody Mary is one of the most classic tailgating cocktails. The ingredients can vary greatly based on personal preferences. 

Here is what you’ll need:

4 cups tomato juice

Juice of 2 large lemons

1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 heaping tablespoon prepared horseradish

1 1/2 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press

2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Unflavored vodka 

Lemon wedges for serving

Celery sticks, olives, cheese (ect.) for serving 

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

First, put tomato juice into a large, sealed container. Add lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, garlic, pepper, and Tabasco; shake it all together! Feel free to taste it to adjust the spice level. Pour 1 part vodka and 3 parts Bloody Mary mix over ice in to a shaker and proceed to shake well. Pour into glasses, squeeze a wedge of lemon into the drink, and garnish it as you please with celery, olives, cheese, or another food favorites! Raise your glass to a Bloody Mary! 

Mimosa

A mimosa is another classic tailgate drink. It is the simplistic combination of champagne and orange juice!Simple, pour 2 ounces of orange juice into each flute and fill the rest up with champagne! 

As Blair Waldorf says, “Here’s my advice- have a little faith, and if that doesn’t work, have a lot of mimosas!” 

Screw Driver

Similar to a mimosa, a screwdriver is simple and tasty. All you need is ice, vodka, and orange juice.  The recipe calls for:

1 ¼ fluid oz. of vodka

1 ½ cups of ice cubes

6 fluid oz. of orange juice

Although these proportions are recommended, the ratio is simply up to you. Pour the vodka and orange juice over ice, and you have made yourself a screwdriver in seconds! Yum!

Apple Cider Mojito

This warm and seasonal cocktail is perfect while cheering on the Bants during this cold weather.  This drink tastes just as good as it looks, and will take no time to make!

What you need (makes 2 servings):

4 oz apple cider

3 oz Cinnamon Simple Syrup (ingredients & recipe below)

3 oz Applejack (Liard’s)

4 oz white rum

Diced apples

Mint leaves

Cinnamon sticks

Cinnamon Simple Syrup:

¼ cup sugar

¼ cup plus 1 TBS of water

cinnamon stick broken in half

To maximize your time, try to prepare the cinnamon syrup before game day! To make, place ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup plus 1 TBS water and half cinnamon stick in a small pot; bring to a boil and then turn off the heat and allow the mixture to sit and cool to room temperature. Next, pour the mixture into container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use! 

As far as the mojitos go, begin by combining cider, cinnamon simple syrup, Applejack and rum in a cocktail shaker or glass-measuring cup; shake or stir well. In two serving glasses, “muddle” as much or as little mint as you desire. Fill both glasses with ice. If you’re feeling fancy, throw in a small handful of diced apples and then add your cider mixture and stir! Feel free to garnish with a cinnamon stick and extra mint leaves as well! Cheers!

Apple Cider Sangria

Sangria is a perfect tailgate drink because it can be made in large amounts and can serve a lot of people, while still ensuring a great taste!

Here’s what you need:

Sparkling or regular white wine (1-2 bottles, dry white preferable)

Apple cider (1 liter)

Apples (4)

Pomegranate seeds for garnish

Fist, mix the wine and apple cider in pitcher. Next, peel and slice apples and add to pitcher. Stir the mixture and let it sit in the fridge! Finally, add pomegranate seeds to each glass for garnish! Enjoy!

Whiskey Sour

A whiskey sour is a quick and easy drink that can be made almost effortlessly!All you need is…

.75 oz Fresh lemon juice

.75 oz Simple syrup (one part water, one part sugar)

1.5 oz Bourbon

Add all of the ingredients into a shaker and fill it with ice. Shake it up, strain the ice, and garnish with fresh ice, a cherry and a lemon wedge! Bottoms up!

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.