Help! I’m an Athlete and Can’t Look Cute for Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

As you all have most likely figured out already, Trinity is not the type of school where you roll out of bed five minutes before your 8 A.M., brush your teeth, grab a granola bar, and sprint down the Long Walk to make it in your seat nearly as the professor says “Good Morning.” The Long Walk might as well be called the red carpet and you know that is no exaggeration.  Sweatpants, sweatshirts, and UGG slippers seldom make an appearance even in the harshest New England winters. Instead, Trinity girls look prepared, put together, and impeccable during all hours of the day. This includes Mather, The Bistro, Ferris Athletic Center, and most importantly, the classroom.  What’s a girl to do if she cannot dress up because she must wear her travel gear to class, in order to catch the bus that leaves for an away game at Amherst a few minutes after class lets out? If you think Coach will let you wear Sperrys on the bus, think again!

No worries athletes, Sporty can be cute!  There are ways around the Lilly dresses, Jack Rogers, and Vineyard Vines dress code. Often, girls are judged by NARPS (non-athletic regular people) for wearing sweats unless they are athletes in season. Hence part of the reason the athletes are so easily spotted on campus!  

However, Her Campus is here to tell you there are so many ways to look cute in athletic apparel without appearing masculine. One, pair your Soccer sweatshirt with a pair of Lululemons and Bean Boots. Make it fun, make it casual, and rep that gear. Two, if possible try not to come straight from practice without a shower (we know that isn’t always an option with timing). If you can’t shower, who cares, you just worked hard in the gym and that is respectable. Three, you don’t always need makeup to look put together. Makeup is yet another necessity in the Trin Girls’ wardrobe but you’re an athlete! Own it! And lastly, don’t get caught up with the Yacht apparel atmosphere. You’re not in season all year round, there will be days when you can wake up an hour early for class, straighten your hair, put on makeup, and wear those Tory Burch boots! You’re a well respected athlete at a school that values academics. It is special to have a cute athletic side and a cute academic side. 

We know the class apparel scene can be intimidating for those not used to the preppy lifestyle. Those like myself, from a less than preppy hometown, may wonder if she missed the dress memo when walking past the quad on a sunny day.  Quoted from Yik Yak “A Trin Girl’s lazy day outfit consists of $90 dollar Lululemons, $120 Patagonia, and $100 Bean Boots.”  And that is a lazy day?? Wow. Just remember athletes- some days can be sporty and some days can be preppy, but both are cute. It’s possible to look good in class, get to practice, and kill it during your away weekend at Bates and Bowdoin.  Brains, beauty, and ball is a tough combo to beat.  Plus, there’s always time to show off your best stuff on Saturday night just in time for Psi U!! It takes someone special to look good in her formal dress and to look good on the court but some of our infamous Campus Cuties are athletes so it can be done! Remember, always be you, be smart, and be cute!  

Currently a Senior at Trinity College with a major of Educational Studies and Special Ed. Four year member and captain of the Women's Basketball Team.
Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.