The Heath Benefits of Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

It seems like every finals season, any attempt at eating healthy and clean goes right down the drain.  Luckily, since we’re all hooked up to coffe IVs right now, there’s a super easy switch you can make to get a super-powered drink that’s healthy and not going to give you an insane caffeine high (and inevitable headache.)

Tea.

Tea has so many health benefits, and each different type has a different pro!  Studies have even found that some teas can help with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and encourage weight loss and lower cholesterol.  

Green Tea

Green tea contains antioxidants that have been suggested to help with breast, lung and stomach cancers, amongst others.  It has also been claimed that a cup of the green stuff can protect against dementia and Alzheimer’s as well as improve cholesterol levels.  If that’s not reason enough to drink one cup of green tea a day idk what is.

Black Tea

This is where your caffeine boost comes in.  Black tea is the highest caffinated of all the teas.  Black tea also contains thearubigins and theaflavins, two types of antioxidants that have been linked to lower cholesterol levels.  Plus, three or more cups of black tea a day can cut your risk of stroke by 21%. 

Peppermint Tea

Peppermint tea is believed to help digestion and combat stress (finals!!!!!!!).   The menthol present in the tea acts as a muscle relaxant which helps to reduce the amount of stress and anxiety people suffer from.

Chamomile tea

A gentle calming tea made from flowers, chamomile tea can be helpful for insomnia. It can also be helpful with digestion after a meal. Be sure to steep it well to get all the medicinal benefits.  Due to its high levels of antioxidants, drinking oolong tea has been found to lower cholesterol levels in a number of studies.

Tea isn’t the magic bullet, but with a healthy diet, tea can thin you waist while also helping your heart.  Talk about a win-win.