The Controversy Behind “The End of Cleavage”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

If you have not heard already, British Vogue released their latest issue, including an article that declared that it is “the end of cleavage.”  The article discusses how the portrayal of breasts on the red carpet has gone from flaunting what you’ve got in Bombshell bras to what is is now: higher cut necklines. 

No more legendary deep-v’s like JLo’s.

In fact, it’s looking like we’re transitioning into a nearly braless nation with the era of bralettes. 

However, this declaration is looking more like a controversy than the announcement of the latest trend.  Could it be a response to the #freethenipple campaign? Not so much – it seems that it’s not a feminist driven idea that the going braless trend once was in the 70s and 80s.  It’s now a choice for comfort and trend.  A lot of people are really angry because they feel that Vogue has basically called an end to large breasts, and it’s going into issues of body shaming. 

It seems like much of the internet is making it appear like Vogue says breasts went out of style, whereas in my interpretation, Vogue simply said low necklines with push-up bras are going out of style (hello, off the shoulder sweaters and bodysuits!)  In fact, the article is conveying that women no longer feel that they have to show off their padded assets to feel sexy anymore.

Maybe it’s coming in style because people are finally coming to terms with the fact that bras suck or maybe fashion is looking for a change of pace.  Regardless of the reason, take advantage of the trend and give your chest a rest. 

Live like Rihanna in her Swarovski Crystal dress.