Best Study Spots on Campus and Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

It’s finally that time of year and no, I’m not talking about christmas season or the holidays.. It’s finals time! So excited!! Said no one ever.. Unfortunately, there is no getting around finals time or the library during finals. It seems like everyone just packs up and moves there during this time and I’ve often found myself walking in circles hoping to find one small place of peace and quiet, but every nook and cranny is taken. So if you’re tired of roaming around the lib hoping to find the perfect study space, here’s a list of different places to study to save you time because we know time is precious especially when you need to write three papers, study for two exams, and still eat, have a social life, and be sane.

We all know finals is hard enough without having to worry about where to sit and study for what seems like the rest of your life. But you got this!!

Just want somewhere low key:

Mather in the AM— I know, I know. Mather is not the first place you think of when you’re looking for somewhere to study. However, if you ever do need to wake up early in the morning or want to do work before noon, Mather is actually a great option. 1) You can always get up and get food in the middle of studying 2) In the mornings, since not a lot of people are there, it’s a lot quieter but also not too empty.

The Underground— I think the UG is the embodiment of lowkey. The vibes there are so laid back and relaxed. The coffee smells amazing and the music is always on point. The lighting is dim which makes it peaceful but make sure you don’t fall asleep!

Cave— Now that the Cave’s been renovated, it’s been a hot spot for students. I think there are so many places to sit and study, although I do believe it will be one of the more crowded spaces on campus. However, if you like studying with a little background noise, the cave is ideal.

Center for Educational Technology (Level 1 of the Library)— If you go up the stairs to Level 1, take a left, and walk down a bit, on your right hand side you’ll find a space with computers and hightop tables. What I love the most about this location is the lighting. I often find it hard to study anywhere where the lighting is dim because I fall asleep anywhere. But one Saturday night, instead of going out, I decided to stay in and write an essay (crazy, I know!). Anyways, this place was perfect for that, I stayed up and finished my essay and not once did I doze off!

Group study spots:

Cave— I know I already mentioned the cave but it’s not only great for individual studying but also for group studying. Since people are always in and out there, there’s no pressure to be silent. Usually the TV is on and plus there’s the noise from the store area.

Peter B’s— Peter B’s is like the UG’s perky sister. It’s a bit louder than the UG but not so loud that you can’t do work there. I think it’s perfect to study there with a friend because you can talk in between studying or silently do work, either way the environment is a perfect fit for a casual setting.

LSC Rooms— If you really have to get work done with a group, go to the LSC rooms. Not many people use these rooms to study which is a shame because their large chalk boards on every wall are perfect for re-writing your notes, creating a study guide, or doing practice problems. These rooms are also big enough for large groups and you since they’re closed off, you don’t have to worry about being distracted by others. 

Vernon Social— I believe this is one of the best locations on the north side of campus. It resembles to the Cave’s environment: a little bit of background noise, modern feel, laid-back vibes, and food if you need it. There are also different places in Vernon where you can go depending what you’re feeling. For example, you can study by the fire to feel more serene or by the stage with the TVs on the wall for a more casual setting.

If you need absolute silence:

Seabury Rooms— Just like the LSC rooms, no one ever uses these rooms to study. And, if you go to the top floors the less likely it is that anyone will be there. You’ll have the entire space for yourself to study and do work with absolutely no interruptions. I suggest these rooms if you need to bang out an essay that’s due in a couple of hours or if you’re cramming for an exam you have the next day.

Austin Arts Center— Although AAC is very open to the public and super accessible, very few people take advantage of its space. There are tables in the front of AAC, right when you go through the doors, where you can sit in. I especially like it due to the huge transparent windows in the front. Unlike most buildings on this campus, its not enclosed so you can get outside lighting and if you’re pulling an allnighter you can see the sky gradually light up with the sunrise without having to move an inch which is a pretty cool view.

Halden Hall— The lounge area in Halden Hall is usually used for small events or meetings, otherwise students just walk past it while going to and from class. No one ever studies there in the afternoon or evening which, I think, is a mistake. Like Vernon and the Cave, it also has a modern feel with comfy seats and just a cool space overall. I’m also pretty positive there’s a Kuerig in there which is super helpful when you need to stay up.

Economics Library— Almost nobody knows about this secret place but it’s by the chapel, but you can enter through the arch by the chapel and go up the stairs and to your right. Since it’s so unknown, there’s usually no one there and it’s perfect for absolute silence and concentration.

Third floor of the library— I know I said that the library is usually even more crowded during finals week than a frat on Saturday night, BUT if you insist on staying in the library and need a place thats completely silent, the top floor is perfect. However, if you find any spot at all in the library during finals week, you’re #blessed.