Being Productive over Trinity Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue… and happened to stumble upon this mass of land that we now know as the United States of America. This upcoming holiday, Columbus Day, honors Columbus himself for locating this amazing country, and allowing us to live the incredible lives we do today. To most college students, Columbus Day serves as a godly break from the unbearable stress of school and work. Although long weekends can easily be taken for granted, here are some tips on how to make the most of your Trinity Day break!

Organize your Closet (at home and/or at school)

Trinity days is conveniently aligned between the end of summer and beginning of fall weather. Since you’ll most likely not be wearing shorts, flip-flops or sundresses every day with the cold weather quickly approaching, there is no need for them to be taking up precious space in your room. Now is a perfect time to bring home all of your summer clothes, to make room for down coats and tall boots in your small Trin closets. 

Get Ahead on School Work

Now that syllabus week is well over, schoolwork generally begins to pick up this time of year. Some classes assign midterm tests or papers, so be proactive and begin studying or organizing your work. If you stay on top of your work, things will be less overwhelming in the long run. 

Catch Up on Sleep

Enjoy the peace and quite of your own homes (or of the dorms if you’re staying on campus) and rest! Take this time to go to bed a little earlier and sleep in a little later. Your body will thank you later!

Exercise

Take advantage of no longer being inside the hot and sweaty Ferris gym, and exercise outside! Go for a run, walk, hike or ride outside and utilize the nice weather before winter rolls around. 

Focus on Your Future

If you’re a sophomore or junior Trinity student who is not able to go home for the break, or is looking for alternative ways to better your future career, sign up for alternative programs through the Career Development Center Trinity CareerLink. Sophomore students can sign up for the Sophomore Success Program which runs from Sunday Oct. 12th – Tuesday Oct. 14th, to begin thinking about planning their future careers. Juniors can sign up for “Wall Street Prep”- a two day program discussing interview strategies, financial accounting, Excel, to build knowledge of accounting and real world business models. Find out more on Trinity’s website.

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.