This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

By Maggie Powderly, Class of 2018

Greetings kids. How’s life in the US? I wouldn’t know. I’ve given up the glam of Hartford to become a fabulous international jetsetter. This semester I am lucky enough to be studying abroad in London, England, the land of Brexit and tea. While I miss Camp Trin dearly, and have so much fomo it’s unbelievable, I have to say this is probably this best time in my life. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend studying abroad if you can; it gives you an incredible new perspective on the world around you and you make memories that last a lifetime. (Plus it makes you feel like you won’t totally fail at being grown-up on your own. So that a bonus. Lit.)

Since the next batch of abroad students are preparing to leave Trinity for their spring semesters away, I’ve decided to impart some of my omnipotent wisdom about what it’s like to live in another country, ten tips for a much smoother sail across the Atlantic.

1. Do Research Beforehand.  

Please. I beg of you. Research everything. Despite what you might think, you don’t have all the time in the world to do what you want once you get abroad. It’s incredibly useful to come to your abroad program already prepped with ideas of what you want to do and see in your city: clubs you want to go to, museums you want to see, delicious food you want to absolutely destroy. When you first arrive there’s an initial scramble among everyone over “what the move is”; if you plan ahead, you can step forward as the person with an idea of something fun and interesting for everyone to do and then you can bask in the glow of being awesome at abroad. Go ahead. Bask I say.   

2. Pack Light!

Believe me, I know from experience. I understand that it’s hard packing light because you’ll most likely be dressing for both cold and warm weather abroad, so you feel like you need to pack a large amount of clothing for each temperature. You don’t. You really don’t. Don’t be like me and show up to JFK with two large overweight cabin bags, plus a carry on. It’s just a mistake, and an expensive one at that. While packing you may think “I need this second maroon sweater, it’s a slightly different shade than the other one I just packed. I mean, hey, I don’t know what kinda mood I’m gonna be in; what if one day I want that sweater and left it at home! Best just to take it.” Been there, thought that. You’re wrong. Put it down.

3. Find A Group of Good Friends.

This is imperative. You’re going to be in a new country, far from home not only in distance, but in culture. You’ll be living a life that is going to feel completely bizarre to you for the first few weeks, so it’s important to have people around you to share new experiences with so you don’t feel alone in your confusion. Finding a good group of friends also means you’ve found travel buddies. Travelling can be a real fiasco; having dependable friends is the only way to get through it, especially when you’re about to miss your flight and you’re sprinting through the airport at 6am like a mad woman. At a time like that you want people with you that you truly like and who you can laugh with at your own stupidity.

4. Go to as Many Countries as You Can.

Do yourself a favor and go to as many different places as you can possibly squeeze in four months. It’ll be exhausting in a way you’ve never been exhausted before, but it’ll also be so intensely gratifying. In all likelihood, you will never ever get a chance like this again in your life: the chance to roam around the world with friends (probably at least half supported by your parents, let’s be honest, folks). Take advantage of it. Soak it all up, because pretty soon we’re all going to be real people, with real jobs, and real responsibilities, and we won’t be able to up and go to Paris for the weekend. So carpe-the-friggin-diem while you can.

5. Embrace Your Host Culture.

While in the above I said to spend a lot of your time travelling, don’t overlook the culture of the amazing city you have come to study in itself. Plan some weekend trips around your city, speak to locals, experience local foods, sounds, and practices. I suggest working at an internship on your program if you can. This gives you an incredible insight into the day to day lives of people in your city. Something you’ll probably also want to embrace is that in Europe the legal drinking age is lower than it is in America. Do with that info what you will, you hooligans.

6. Save Everything and Buy Postcards as Souvenirs.

This is something I’ve started since I’ve been in London and traveling. Everywhere you go abroad there is temptation to buy touristy souvenirs to remember your trips by. However, most of them are very overpriced, very breakable, and would be hell to get home in already overcrowded suitcase. Postcards on the other hand are very inexpensive, incredibly light weight, and many have better pictures of tourist attractions on them than you could ever take yourself. By buying these, and saving the tickets and programs you receive on tours etc., you have tangible memories that are easily packed. And, if you fancy yourself crafty, you can use them to make an abroad board or collage for your room when you get home.

7. Don’t Live Behind Your Camera.

I’m not going to tell you to not take pictures abroad. You’re obviously going to take pictures. Take a million I say! Photograph everything if you want, if it will help you savor memories when you look back on them. Just don’t live your months abroad through a lens and forget to really look around you and take it in. Don’t just go to places “for the gram”. I’ll admit, it does feel kinda awesome when the like-train takes off as it never has before on a picture you just posted (because abroad pictures are a damn goldmine), but it’s just not worth as much as fully experiencing your travels.

8. Don’t Be Afraid To Not Do A Trinity Program.

It may appear daunting to look outside of what is offered by Trinity for abroad programs, but it’s really not as bad as it seems at all. I’m on a non-Trinity program, and it isn’t even one of the Trinity approved programs in London either. (Oh no, that would have been far too simple for me.) The process to petition the school to go where you want is quick and easy, and the Study Abroad Office is very helpful. Don’t be too scared to search for what you really want in a program, this time is all about getting what you need. Don’t just take the easy way out.

(This is not to say that Trinity Programs aren’t amazing, because they are. They just don’t have them everywhere)

9. Spend Time On Your Own.

I feel very strongly about this one. (If you haven’t guessed by now, I feel very strongly about a lot of thing. #sorrynotsorry). As I’ve said, it is most definitely a necessity to build up a support network of friends when you first arrive abroad. However, after you’ve become comfortable, it’s time to venture out alone every so often. Not every one of your friends is going to want to do all the things you want to do exactly when you want to do them. Don’t waste precious time thinking “I have no one to do anything with today, I guess I’ll just watch Netflix.” Get yourself up and take yourself on a date to see a show. Go drink coffee somewhere with a nice view and read a book. You only have four months in your new home, explore every chance you get! Taking adventures alone gives you time to notice things you might not otherwise.

10. Value Every Single Moment.

This one speaks for itself, but it’s still something I have to remind myself to do every day. When I wake up early to go to work and it’s cold and I want to stay in my bed, it’s easy to forget how good I have it. Yes, I am going to work all day, and that’s ughh, but I’m going to work in freaking London, and that’s the 100% opposite of ughh. I sometimes have to mentally slap myself and say “Wake up stupid, look around you!” Try as hard as you can not to slip into a state of normalizing your circumstances. Yes, you should try to become as much of a local as you can, but never forget for a second that you’ll be leaving eventually. If you keep yourself separated just one tiny bit, you retain the ability to step back and marvel at how very, very lucky you are. The experiences you can have abroad are life changing, don’t let them pass you by.

Now is your time.

Go be amazing.