Why You Should Celebrate Galentine’s Day This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

As I’m sure you are all well aware, Valentine’s Day is dawning upon us and with it brings the promise of another day dedicated to love, chocolate, and your possible lack of a significant other.

Valentine’s Day is celebrated as the most romantic day of the year, and inversely, one of the most depressing for those who are spending it alone.

It shouldn’t have to be depressing though. As a day for recognizing love and appreciation, everyone should be able to celebrate the special people in their lives, even if they’re not in a romantic relationship.

But being surrounded by heart-shaped everything for a full 24-hours, sometimes more, can be exhausting for those who are spending it single.

Parks and Recreation, an NBC “mockumentary” starring Amy Poehler as the spritely Leslie Knope, has come up with a solution: Galentine’s Day.

Galentine’s Day, a holiday founded by Leslie Knope, was first introduced in the show’s 16th episode of the second season titled “Galentine’s Day.” Galentine’s Day is celebrated on February 13th with the goal of recognizing all of the amazing ladies in your life.

To celebrate this incredible holiday, Leslie takes out her best girl friends and treats them to lunch while showering them with thoughtful homemade gifts, some of which that include pillows embroidered with the top newspaper headline from their birthday and mosaic portraits of each friend’s face.

Galentine’s Day is a day that should be celebrated by ladies everywhere. Too often we forget to praise our dearest friends and show them how much we love and care about them. So, I suggest that we all celebrate Galentine’s Day in a very real way this year.

Here’s a few ideas on how to best celebrate Galentine’s Day: make a mix CD for your girls filled with songs that make you think of them, make cards with little inside jokes that the two of you cherish, or treat yo self and your bestie to a huge slice of chocolate cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory.

There’s so many wonderful ways you can make this year’s Galentine’s Day special and show the sassy lasses in your life how much you appreciate them. If there’s anything that Leslie Knope has taught us, it’s that awesome ladies should support each other more, because ovaries always come before brovaries. And that waffles are the best food ever.

Happy Galentine’s Day, you poetic noble land mermaids!

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.