Why You Should Celebrate Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Thanksgiving is commonly celebrated with your family. It is a holiday that many college students look forward to because they can go home and remember what a true home-cooked meal is. But friends become your family, so why not celebrate Thanksgiving with them as well? Friendsgiving makes that possible. This quirky little holiday is one that every college student should celebrate at least once and here are the reasons why!

1.       Dinner is what you make it.

Unlike Thanksgiving, the meal is not structured. You and your friends are creating the menu together. Want to try out a new dish instead of making stuffing? This is the time to do it. Maybe you want to bring Oreo cookies for dessert instead of a homemade sweet potato pie? That’s cool too! There is no pressure to stick to the classics.  Whatever you bring will be appreciated!

2.       What kid’s table?

Everyone is considered an adult during this celebration. Conversation is unfiltered. You don’t have to worry about offending your uptight aunt with something you said. Friendsgiving is not the traditional sit-down dinner, it is a party. So, take this time to catch up with your friends about anything and everything.

3.       Opportunity to make new traditions.

Whether you decide to have a themed Friendsgiving or do an activity such as making hand turkeys, new memories are bound to be made. You and your friends can decide to repeat what you do at your first Friendsgiving for the next year making new traditions to cherish.

4.       Time to spend with your second family.

Friends are a group of people who become your family.  They make you laugh, share your common interest, and you can lean on them when you need help. Like Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving is a time to reflect on the things you are thankful for. Friendsgiving is the best time to show your friends how thankful you are that they are apart of your life. 

I hope these reasons inspire you to have a Friendsgiving this year. I swear you won’t regret it!

Hi, I'm Talore. Currently, I am junior at Towson University. I am a  English major with a minor in Business, Communications, and the Liberal Arts. Some of my hobbies include traveling, listening to music, going to concerts, reading, and binge watching some show on Netflix. I enjoy drinking coffee (honestly, I am an addict!) and I am obsessed with dogs. Along with Her Campus, I am the Head of Recruitment Operations for my sorority Delta Phi Epsilon. This is my second year on the Her Campus team and I love being part of this organization!  Instagram: @itstalore