Why “Thelma & Louise” Is The Ultimate Gal Pal Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

We all know the classic girlfriend movies: Clueless, Bridesmaids, Mean Girls – well, maybe not the entirety of Mean Girls, but Gal Pal movies have always been a huge staple in modern film. Yet, some of the older girlfriend movies seem to get lost by the wayside. Thelma & Louise is one of them in particular.

Filled with car chases, explosions, and some profanity, Thelma & Louise is the story of two incredible women who would do anything for the other. Set in Oklahoma, Louise Sawyer and Thelma Dickinson’s weekend road trip unexpectedly leads to murder, madness, and mayhem.

When my mother first told me about Thelma & Louise, I was skeptical. I wasn’t sure how much I’d like it based on her brief synopsis that went along the lines of: “It’s a classic! Brad Pitt is in it!” She didn’t exactly give me a great idea of what to expect.

Then, a few months ago, I figured I might as well spend a quiet, summer night watching it.  And I am so glad I did! Thelma & Louise was everything I’d ever wanted in a movie, and I didn’t even know it.

Starring Geena Davis (Thelma) and Susan Sarandon (Louise), the 1991 film represents the pinochle of female friendship and devotion. It’s one of the greatest girlfriend films of all time because of its strong story carried by two imperfect, amazingly strong women. It is written with genuine female protagonists and a fantastic feministic message.

The best thing about this film is that Thelma and Louise are both incredibly flawed characters. They’re human. Yet the wonderful thing about their flaws is that they become their strengths. They complement each other to perfection. When Thelma breaks, Louise stays strong. When Louise breaks, Thelma stays strong.

They are an incomparable pair, able to stand up for themselves, and even the female race as a whole. Thelma and Louise are both extremely powerful women too, total HBICs that won’t take crap from anyone.

And they do this all together.

This Gal Pal movie leaves a lasting effect on the true importance of female friendship. I spent the entirety of the credits sobbing, because I realized exactly how important my girlfriends are to me and exactly how far I’d go to protect and support them. That kind of female empowerment is something we all need a bit more of in this world.

Thelma & Louise is about trust, devotion, and resilience. Through their friendship, they were able to take control of their lives and support each other through whatever may come their way. If that’s not true friendship, then I don’t know what is.

Watch the trailer now!

*Trigger warning – some sexual violence

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.