This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Within the past year or so, a new term has started swirling around modern day language—basic. Basic, normally referring to fundamentals or the opposite of an acid, can now be a “bad word” directed towards women.

What is basic? According to Dictionary.com,

Basic [bey-sik]: adj. Slang – (especially of a female) characterized by predictable or unoriginal style, interests, or behavior; (of things) boringly predictable or unoriginal.

In other words, basic means: An item, style, activity or way of life that is well liked or popular, and often enjoyable. A few examples include Pumpkin Spice Lattes, pop music, and “Han Solo” outfits (jeans-boots-vests combinations).

Sure, basic seems like a funny enough idea now, but it can actually be harmful in the long run. Not only does “basic,” condemn liking things everyone likes, but women are also condemned to like things that aren’t as popular. When a woman says she likes something that makes her appear as non-basic, she is made out to be a “poser” or “pretentious,” trying too hard to be unlike other girls. Women aren’t allowed to like anything. Or, at least, aren’t allowed to like anything without being made fun of for it.

What should we do instead?

We can start by encouraging girls to share their interests with others and be confident in knowing that what they like does not lessen them in any way as a human being. We can teach them that it is okay to like Taylor Swift and it is okay to like listening to Slip Knot. We can teach them that it’s okay to like reading classic novels in coffee shops and it’s okay to like reading Nicholas Sparks novels. We can teach them that it’s okay to like Pumpkin Spice Lattes and it’s okay to like herbal teas.

In conclusion, basic is not synonymous with bad. It is okay to be basic, and it’s okay to be anything else you want to. Be basic. Be acidic. Be you. 

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes.