What To Watch: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Why aren’t you watching this show? Seriously…why not? You totally should be.

I’ll admit it, I was a little skeptical just by the title, but when I started watching I fell in love. ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ was nothing like I thought it was going to be. I was expecting the show to be about making fun of some girl who was obsessed with her boyfriend, passing off her obsession with him as comedy. But, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ is about New York lawyer Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom) who is completely dissatisfied with her life. When she runs into her ex-boyfriend, Josh Chan (Vincent Rodriguez III), from a summer camp fling over 10 years ago, she realizes how happy her life had been back in those days. When he tells her about how wonderful his life in his little hometown of West Covina, California is, Rebecca decides to take a chance and moves there to find happiness…or, as everyone else is convinced, to be with Josh.

There are so many great things about this show. Rebecca is a powerful feminist character who stands up for herself and won’t let sexist attitudes bog her down. She is so inspiringly independent and it is awesome.

The show also features a bisexual character. A male bisexual character, which is not something often seen on network TV. I mean, come on, even ‘Orange Is The New Black’ won’t use the word “bisexual” to describe Piper’s sexuality.

The coolest and most notable stand-out theme in the show is its musical breaks. The show is told through Rebecca’s dramatic attitude, which just happens to include breakout musical numbers. The songs are inspired by different music genres, ranging from R&B to 80’s rock. Some of the songs are even inspired by popular Broadway musicals, including ‘Les Miserables’ and ‘The Music Man’.

The show even features Santino Fontana, aka Prince Charming in the Cinderella Broadway revival and the voice of Hans from ‘Frozen’. His silky smooth voice is reason enough to watch the show. As if the awesome feminist themes weren’t enough already, though.

Plus, this song is in it:

And, this song:

This song, too:

How perfect and accurate is that, am I right? Do you need anymore reasons to watch?

I highly recommend this show. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen before and so delightfully feminist. You can catch all of season 1 on Netflix, and season 2 premieres on October 21 on the CW. Don’t miss this show. You will not regret watching it. Of that, I can guarantee.

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes. 
Her Campus

Towson '25